Cisco 2691 & Dual Port (T1's) VWIC-2mft-t1

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 2691 & Dual Port (T1's) VWIC-2mft-t1

Basic config question for Cisco 2691.
    I have installed (router sees them) 3 WIC cards
    All 3 are T1, dual port, VWIC-2mft-T1 cards.

Total - 6 configurable T-1 interfaces.

In the past I have configured Cisco 1750 with simple T1 WIC cards and had no configuration issues. Read: Easy to setup.

Now (my question is) it appears that I have to (configure?) the 2691 (somehow) and tell the router about the 3 WIC cards, BEFORE, I can configure
    S0,S1,S2,S3,S4,S5 as individual Serial Interfaces.

All 6, T1's I want to configure are data only T1's.

My issue is - how do I get the 2691 to see the individual Serial Interfaces, so I can go about configuring them like I have with the simple 1750's and a single Wic card?

Thanks in advanced.

Re: Cisco 2691 & Dual Port (T1's) VWIC-2mft-t1

Here is a link to a pdf I found for a sample configuration. Linky
    Never done anything with T-1 cards before.
    CCNA, Network+

Re: Cisco 2691 & Dual Port (T1's) VWIC-2mft-t1

For every T1 controller you need to configure a channel-group <number> and select how many timeslots from T1 frame you allocate for that specific channel group. After you configure this, the router will automatically build some serial interface (for example : you configure on controller e1 0/0 channel-group 0 that contains all time slots, then the "virtual" serial interface will be : serial 0/0.0 - 0/0 from controller interface and .0 from channel-group 0)
      For example :
      controller e1 0/0
      channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31
      controller e1 0/1
      channel-group 1 timeslots 1-31

interface serial 0/0.0
      ip address <IP> <MASK>
      no shut
      interface serial 0/1.1
      ip address <IP> <MASK>
      no shut

Another think you should look for is that if two or more E1/T1 links goes to the same router, a better idea is to build a so called Multilink (MLPPP) - all the serial interfaces act like a big one, you only need one IP Address and the load-balancing is almost perfect