Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTU issue on pppoe and 1841

Greetings to all.

I have a Cisco 1841 with 2 ethernet Interfaces.
    1 interface is used for LAN interface and the other is connected to a ADSL2+ router (configured as bridge) and dials a pppoe connection.
    The problem is that i have some connectivity and speed problems to some sites.
    While searching for a solution i read that it might be a MTU problem.
    Knowing that the optimal MTU value for pppoe is 1492 i have configured the router based on this:
    http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/te...80093bc7.shtml
    You can see the configuration of the router at the attached "sh run.txt".
    I have seen some improvement but some problems still exist.
    As you can see in the "sh int.txt" although i have configured a MTU value of 1492 for Dialer0 ,i still have a MTU of 1500.
    How can i force it to be 1492?
    Must i configure MTU to all interfaces?

Best Regards.
    Attached Files

Re: MTU issue on pppoe and 1841

Hi tech25,

If you haven't figured this out I would love to take a crack at this. Looking at your running-config you have the mtu set to 1492 which according to the link you provided recommends. However I did notice that you haven't explicitly stated the MSS which is different from the MTU. That document states that the recommended MSS is 1452.

I would keep the other interface set to there default. Set the Dialer0 interface with a MTU of 1492 and a MSS of 1452. The setting only affect the exit interface which in your case is your Dialer0.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by ryansmitty View Post
      Hi tech25,

If you haven't figured this out I would love to take a crack at this. Looking at your running-config you have the mtu set to 1492 which according to the link you provided recommends. However I did notice that you haven't explicitly stated the MSS which is different from the MTU. That document states that the recommended MSS is 1452.

I would keep the other interface set to there default. Set the Dialer0 interface with a MTU of 1492 and a MSS of 1452. The setting only affect the exit interface which in your case is your Dialer0.

Ryan
      Hello there Ryan.

Thank you for your answer
      Unfortunately it didn't work..

I have configured the router via SDM and it auto configured the mss value on ethernet 0/0 (my lan interface).As you can see i have configured it accordingly to 1452.
      Never the less i have configured a mss value to dialer 0 as well, but with no luck..

Comment

int di0
        ip inspect SDM_LOW out

I would change to ip inspect SDM_LOW in.

Since you should trust traffic going out your network.

Comment

The problem was here
          interface Dialer0
          ip inspect SDM_LOW out
          ip ips sdm_ips_rule in
          ip ips sdm_ips_rule out

I have removed "ip ips sdm_ips_rule out" and everything works like a charm

Comment

Working...
          X