No announcement yet.

"Special" one to one NAT

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Special" one to one NAT

Hi everyone,

I need to do something which I know it is possible but cant get my keywords right in google to find out about it!

It is a one to one NAT which keeps the host address as it is between two different subnets of the same length. Something "Statically dynamic".

For example lets take a 24 bit subnets for simplicity.

I would like to nat that way. (both subnets are 24 bit in length) NAT to NAT to NAT to NAT to
    and so on ...

I dont mind that a solution is given for a router or firewall but preffered for a cisco device , but please reply if you have done with another vendor.

Another thing is, how is it called? is there a name for this sort of NATing?

Thank you,

Re: "Special" one to one NAT

are you reffering to the "ip nat inside source static network" command?
    that's with a Cisco router.

Thanks for your reply

idos, indeed this is the static NAT command for IOS.

But what I am looking here is not necessarioy the "the command" but how what i have discribed is done.

This comand creates a static NAT entry, so in my example for a 24bit subnet i would need 254 NAT entries!

Thank you anyway,

Are you possibly referring to configuring a "nat pool"?

If so, see the following link: NAT POOL

Based on your post, the "Access List Approach" probably meets your requirements. If you need more granularity, then take a look at using the "Route Map Approach".

I think you'll need to create every static NAT entry that you need. I don't think there's any way of creating a NAT pool that says "NAT the outside x.x.x.1 address to the inside x.x.x.1 address, and so on and so on". Which is what I think you're trying to explain in your post, correct?

Thanks joeqwerty,

That is what i am trying to do, and i am sure it can be done "dynamic" as I have seen this been done before.