HELP WITH VTP and STP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP WITH VTP and STP

Newbie question here. I understand what STP does (avoid switch loops). For my specific lab I am trying to play around with 3 switches and 1 3845 router. I have my 3 switches all with redundant links. Life is good, by default it has elected the highest cost port to be in "blocking mode ".

To my understanding if i have more than 1 vlan and i want all my other switches to know about this vlan I have to enable trunk links, for my lab i have implemented dot1q encapsulation. As soon as I do this, my "blocking state" port turns into "forwarding state".
    2 Questions associated with this.
    1. Does this "kill" STP? Hence Now I have switch loops?
    2. What is the proper procedure to do this.
    This thing is really killing me. Especially when you understand why you need STP and VTP. PLEASE PLEASE HELP clarify this. I know this is a Layer 8 Issue (ME).

Re: HELP WITH VTP and STP

Hey Missiongeek,

Spanning Tree operates per VLAN so if for example you have multiple trunks between two switches it is theoretically possible to have one trunk forwarding for the first VLAN and blocking for the second and the other trunk blocking the first VLAN and forwarding the second, a loop free topology is still maintained.

Stuart

Comment

Working...
    X