communities vs cluster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• communities vs cluster

I have 2-3750E and 1- 3750G switch in a rack. Does anyone have an option on which is better, community or cluster. I can see the basic advantages in both set ups. But not having a lot of real world experience, would appreciate some outside input. Thanks in advance.
    Tommy

Re: communities vs cluster

Care to give a brief summary of the diffrence on the two above? thanks

Comment

From my limited understanding, a cluster is a group of devices that are controlled and communicate thru one master device. They all share the same ip address and are controlled thru the master. In a community, you still have a master device, but all the devices have their own ip address and each one has to be configured separately. The advantage as I see it, is in a cluster, you just make one entry and your commands filter down thru the stack. But if you lose communication with the master, you can no longer talk to the cluster. Were with a community, you have to enter commands to each device, but if your master goes down, since each device has an ip, you can still talk to the stack. Again, I don't know up from down when it comes to switches, so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm off the mark.
      Tommy

Comment

Heard back from another source that I trust and he said to go with the cluster. Easier to manage and if the master fails, one of the other switches is promoted to the master automatically. Just thought I would let you know.
        Tommy

Comment

Thanks for the post back. I'm not an expert with routers but in Microsft Failover Clustering for Windows 2008 server, the setup is known as a 'majority node' cluster. There is not single point of failure should the quorum owner (hosting the Cluster services at the time) fail.

Comment

The more I read, the more I realize I don't know. I'm actually going to use a switch "stack". This is different then a cluster, as a cluster connects thru the LAN ports, where a switch stack connect thru their "stackwise" ports. Plus, if a stack master goes off line, a new stack master is elected. I will start with the 3750G as the stack master due to it's running the EMI software.
            Tommy

Comment

Working...
            X