Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between IOS releases

Hey folks,
    i know that this is gonna be a newbie question but i am new in Cisco world and i am confused. When i check the ios releases for specific router model, i see bunch of ios. For example: ClickHERE to see a page for Cisco 2691 IOS download page. They have 16 different IOS types but they are all same version.
    For example:
    ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES IOS
    ADVANCED IP SERVICES IOS

These two IOS have exactly same version but different names and different bin files. I am just wondering what are the differences between those IOSs?
    Thanks,

Re: Differences between IOS releases

Each image (.bin) supports a different feature set. Advanced Enterprise having the most features, ip base having the least. If you select one of the images, the next page will display a link that describes all the features supported by that image.

Also, make sure you download an image that matches the memory and flash requiremets of the router, otherwise the router may not boot the new image on reboot. In some cases, I have to delete the previous image prior to uploading the new image to flash.

Comment

Re: Differences between IOS releases

Thanks for the answer. Why do they do that though? Why dont they just release Advanced Enterprise? i mean it doesn't hurt to have features but not use them.

Comment

Working...
      X