Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody managed to install Packet Tracer 5 on Debian Etch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody managed to install Packet Tracer 5 on Debian Etch?

Hi has anybody managed to install Packet Tracer 5 on Debian Etch?
    I previously installed an older version of PT maybe version 1.1 through Wine but it wasn't pretty to use.

Now Cisco seems to have more native install files other than for Windows. But only for Ubuntu and Fedora. So I chose the 3rd install option for Linux which is a tar.

(tar.gz - 108 MB)

Packet Tracer v5.0 Application + Tutorial Generic
    This is the complete Packet Tracer program including tutorials for generic Linux distributions with kernel versions 2.6 and above.
    I managed to untar it and install it but nothing happens when I run it through my terminal. I get no Warnings or Error messages.
    So my question again:
    Has anybody managed to install PT5 on Debian Etch and what's the steps you need to take to fire it up??
    Last edited by stiffler; 13th December 2008, 15:26.

Re: Has anybody managed to install Packet Tracer 5 on Debian Etch?

I managed to save myself a trip to Windows when doing my Cisco Netacad reading and labs. By running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 via Virtualbox 2 and downloading the Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 binary file from Cisco's download page.

I got 1 GB RAM running Packet Tracer through a virtualization isn't fun it's sluggish. And the new PT 5 for Linux is still as *Ugly* as the PT 1 version for Wine even after me having changed all the fonts to Verdana and Arial the fonts still look broken.

But not having to boot into the Windows partition is a plus I guess for the cost of performance when doing the Activity Labs I just wish they could make a workable PT 5 for Debian already.

Comment

Working...
    X