Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSLAM Upgrades causing you grief?

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

I just wanted to share some information that may be helpful to others experiencing similar upgrade issues from service providers.

Since the absorption of Bell South under the wing of AT&T, they have been periodically upgrading their DSLAM infrastructure. The newer DSLAM's are provisioned for PPPoE encapsulation. There are "some" DSLAM's that will support PPPoA and PPPoE, and if you are fortunate enough to have one of these implemented into your "cloud", you won't even know the network was upgraded. Although AT&T will indicate that notifications are sent out ahead of time, I have found that sites will go down without notice and only after several calls to the NOC, and escalations to Tier-II support, does it become clear that an upgrade was performed.

If you still have some 800 series routers running PPPOA encapsulation and you are scratching your head as to why rebooting and trouble tickets do not quickly restore your connections, here is a quick way to check/resolve an unannounced upgrade head-ache by changing from PPPoA to PPPoE encapsulation.

The command to change from PPPoA to PPPoE is....

!
    int ATM0
    no pvc 8/35
    pvc 8/35
    pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
    !
    int Ethernet0
    ip policy route-map clear-df
    !
    access-list 101 permit ip any any
    !
    route-map clear-df permit 10
    match ip address 101
    set ip df 0
    !

This simple configuration change has restored service for me more times that I care to remember.

If you need to reverse the settings, then...

The command to change from PPPoE to PPPoA is....

!
    int ATM0
    no pvc 8/35
    pvc 8/35
    encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    dialer pool-member 1!
    int Ethernet0
    no ip policy route-map clear-df
    !
    no access-list 101 permit ip any any
    !
    no route-map clear-df permit 10
    !

Hopefully this will save someone from experiencing any extended down-time on the network.

Let's face it; There are more enjoyable excuses to drink heavily other than from having to deal with service-outages!!

Gary
Working...
X