Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I configure the 3com switch or can I do this in the router?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I configure the 3com switch or can I do this in the router?

Thanks for your time.

I have three, 3com 4500g switches tied together.

I just installed a T1 line and got it working on a 1721 cisco router

The ATT tech told me that my FastEthernet ip address of 12.235.xx.xx would need to be translated at my switch.

Before it was a private 192.168.1.xx.

So how do I configure the 3com switch to take the output address from the router and make it so my local network will work.

This address would be the gateway for my PC's.

I don't even know how to explain this very well - I hope someone knows what I mean.

The ATT guy says all T1 lines have to work this way.

Can you please advice me on how this might be done - in layman terms of course!

P.S. The ATT guy said to use "ip address translation"

Oh what does that mean

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Do I configure the 3com switch or can I do this in the router?

Sound like you in a bit over your head....
    In short there is generally nothing to be configured on a switch (there are exceptions, but not in your case)

If you have your router "working" you just uplink the switch to a open port on the router. (x3 in your case)

They call routers switches and vice vera, but you just need to worry about your router.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Re: Do I configure the 3com switch or can I do this in the router?

The AT&T guy is giving you a load of bunk. I'm not aware of any switch that does NAT, and even if there was one I've never heard of anyone doing NAT at the switch. NAT is done at the router or the firewall. The router should have a private address from your subnet on it's internal ethernet interface and your switch should uplink to this port. the switch doesn't require an ip address except for the purposes of management or creating VLAN's.

Comment

Working...
      X