A new center...what do I want

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new center...what do I want

Hello. We just opened a new center and have a new network. I am going to list our setup and I need to know what kind of firewall and/ or router I need.

I have 5 windows servers.
    1 is my Exchange E-Mail
    1 is my WWW
    1 is my intranet WWW that I currently access by another port #
    The rest are just file servers and such

We have a static IP. Currently I just have a walmart WRT54G wireless router that I use port forwarding on. This is no longer sufficient as we have an all new network.

What I need is a good firewall that will allow me to block all outgoing ports except those that I want...for web browsing, Exchange, etc. I need to be able to open up the incoming ports like 80 for the WWW, 443 for the SSL that is on Exchange, port 25, et cetera. One of my contractors that does remote support uses PC Anywhere.

Currently the cheapo walmart router just port forwards from our static IP address to the PC Anywhere host they want. They said I want to be able to let them have a user name and password for a Microsoft VPN...

I have heard of something called a CISO PICKS. Is this a firwall or router or both? I have never done anything like this before.

This is new for me so bare with me as i learn....but I need to know what they buy first. (Prefereable something that is easy to manage....but definitely does what I need) THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

Re: A new center...what do I want

I think, in your case. Almost any router will do the job.

What budget are you on? Cisco PIX ins't a 100$ firewall.
    Most "business" firewalls/routers are ready for VPN, ie. a Sonicwall, Pix, Watchguard, etc.
    Best regards,
    Carsten.

Comment

Originally posted by cs.dk View Post
      I think, in your case. Almost any router will do the job.

What budget are you on? Cisco PIX ins't a 100$ firewall.
      Most "business" firewalls/routers are ready for VPN, ie. a Sonicwall, Pix, Watchguard, etc.
      To some degree, the cost is just the cost of doing business so to an extent it doesn't matter.

Another company who has the same dispatch program (that is what the contractor uses PC Anywhere to fix when it breaks with VPN) uses the Cisco Pix so that is the only unit I have heard of.....but they don't do WWW host or Exchange though.

Comment

Originally posted by medic 66 View Post
        To some degree, the cost is just the cost of doing business so to an extent it doesn't matter.

Another company who has the same dispatch program (that is what the contractor uses PC Anywhere to fix when it breaks with VPN) uses the Cisco Pix so that is the only unit I have heard of.....but they don't do WWW host or Exchange though.
        Hi,
        I started supporting a business that uses this NetGear firewall. It is very user friendly and allows VPN (have to purchase software for it). I think the cost if just right.
        http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNa...rs/FVS318.aspx

There is also IPCOP open source software (turns an old pc to a firewall). You have to have some PC knowledge to build the system but once it is done, it can be easily managed through it's web interface (VPN, DHCP, etc). In addition, in this is why I prefer it from others software available you can also turn it to a proxy server. You can add http://dansguardian.org along http://urlblacklist.com/. With these tools you can block Blacklisted websites from your network and it also enforce GoogleSafe Search (this blocks inappropriate content from displaying from searches) – at no additional cost!

However, if money it is not an issue and top security is your major concern I believe Cisco products may work best for you. I am not too familiar with them and don’t know of many SOHO managing their own Cisco products. I’m sure the network experts on the forum will advise you over Cisco products.
        CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Comment

I wouldnt suggest IPCOP as a perimeter firewall. Maybe for home use but the firewall itself is quite rudimentary. Smoothwall do a similar equivalent that is more robust. To be honest there are many Open Source firewalls out there like Vyatta Untangle etc but there designed for people that are REALLY on a budget or Linux enthusiasts. Sonicwall is a great firewall for a small investment of around 200-300 or so and includes a global VPN client as well as facilities to create box to box VPN`s.The TZ 150,180 or 190 would be great for your scenario. Alternatively you could just use RAS within windows and open the neccsary ports if money is really tight. Either way Sonicwall would certaiinly be my recommendation as an integrated router in comparison to Cisco, who`s SMB products leave alot to be desired. The SDM that comes as part of the newer Cisco series IE 850 870 etc is cumbersome and painful to configure in comparison to a watchguard SOHO or Sonicwall equivalent. Infact in my humble opinion its easier to configure it from the command line than from the GUI but again thats providing you know a plethora of Cisco commands and are comfortable with Cisco kit.. which isnt practical in my opinion for SOHO or Small business techies where the tech usually is somone who is slightly more PC savvy then the rest of his colleagues/employees.
          Last edited by scurlaruntings; 24th October 2008, 16:56.

Comment

Working...
          X