No announcement yet.

Configuring VLAN..Need help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring VLAN..Need help

Dear friends

I am a newbie to switching field. I got a job to configure 7 ports (gig0/39 - 46) of switch3 (Cisco 3560) for Vlan 610. This ports are already member of VLAN 320 which is default VLAN for this environment. Let me explain the scenerio

Switch 3 is connecting to Switch 1 which is eventually connecting to outside network which is Hospital site. Switch at hospital end is configured for VLAN 610 and is connecting at two ports of switch 1 at (gig 0/34 -35). Switch 3 is connected to switch 1 at ports (gig 0/47 -4. Default VLAN of Switch 3 is also VLAN 320. I need to make communication possible from switch 3 to hospital site.

After analysing network,

Ports 47-48 existing uplink to SW1
    Ports 39-46 VLAN 610 (Need to Configure)

Ports 1-45 Remain in existing VLAN.

I telnet to Sw3 to configure ports 39-46 for vlan 610.
    switch(conf t)# interface range gig 0/39-46
    # switchport mode access
    # vlan 610
    It didnt configured properly and i noticed errors on interface after running show run command. I realize, i need to remove default vlan 320 first from port and then i can add vlan 610 to port. I run no vlan 320 at interfaces and what i see entire network goes down and i lost connection from switch. I attended onsite and restore config file to switch.

I still need to configure ports to make communication possible between switch3 and hospital site.

What i need to do to successfully achieve the goal?
    Your help much appreciated. It is bit urgent... ManyThanks

Re: Configuring VLAN..Need help

I am not completely sure I follow you but here is what I think.

telnet to Sw3 to configure ports 39-46 for vlan 610.
    switch(conf t)# interface range gig 0/39-46
    switch(config-if-range)# switchport mode access
    switch(config-if-range)# switchport access vlan 610

The 'no vlan 320' at the privilege mode prompt # would remove the vlan completely which would be bad if you have other interfaces communicating on it.

the stuff in red is were it looks like you went wrong to add vlan 610 to the specified ports (39 - 46)

Hopefully this will help at-least configure the ports to the vlan you would like them to be in.