Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring VLAN

Hi

i got a cisco 3560 and few 2960 cisco switches. I have problem creating vlans. I made 3560 as VTP mode server. the all other switches as VTP mode client. the domain also mentioned the same. When i create VLANs on the 3560,, its is not available in the 2960 switches. Trunk is been enabled both switches and dot1q is used as encapsulation.
    Unable to identify the problem; any suggestions kindly share.

regards

ram prabu
    prabu

Re: Configuring VLAN

Do you have all the switches in the same VTP domain?
    CCNA, Network+

Comment

just to clarify:

3560 has its ports to the 2960(1) trunked, 2960(2) trunked?

switchport mode trunk on both ports to the 3560? Nothing specific to any vlans except its trunked for all?

try changing the 2960's back to server mode's then bring them back to client (it should be accepting updated revision number from the server switch)

If you have the ports trunked, and the 3560 set as the vtp server, and the 2960's ports trunked and in client mode, it should be receiving updated revisions from the 3560.

Also I like to check my trunks on each switch to verify, so:

#sh interfaces trunk

I just replicated your setup and it is indeed working properly. Let us know on an update please.

--BluJ
      Last edited by BluJ; 30th September 2008, 07:18.

Comment

hi All,

thanks for all your help. The problem is fixed now. i had all the VLANS created in the server earlier to connecting the client switches. This was not reflecting in the clients even after trunking and vtp domain etc been configured properly... now when i add a new vlan in the server.. all the clients are now got the full information of vlans.. is that a bug??? So when ever i join a new switch in the domain i need to create a vlan (temprovary) to make the switch to get updated ? it sounds crazy...

Any how i am fixed with the vlan now.. thanks again for spending ur valuable time on my issue.
        prabu

Comment

hi All,

thanks for all your help. The problem is fixed now. i had all the VLANS created in the server earlier to connecting the client switches. This was not reflecting in the clients even after trunking and vtp domain etc been configured properly... now when i add a new vlan in the server.. all the clients are now got the full information of vlans.. is that a bug??? So when ever i join a new switch in the domain i need to create a vlan (temprovary) to make the switch to get updated ? it sounds crazy...

Any how i am fixed with the vlan now.. thanks again for spending ur valuable time on my issue.
          Actually no, just make sure you dont get lazy in time wit VTP and forget where your VTP server switch is. If you plug a new switch in it should receive the revision numbers properly per the VTP server switch.

Remember when I said try changing the client switches back to server mode then client? I actually had that happen before as well, very strange. glad your problem is resolved.

--BLuJ

Comment

Working...
          X