IP Helper-Address Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Helper-Address Help

I am looking to setup DHCP on my currently static network. We have around 4 VLANs on the LAN I plan to deploy DHCP. The VLANS are as follows:

192.168.11.0/24
    192.168.13.0/24
    192.168.14.0/24
    192.168.15.0/24

All VLAN are created on a 6509 switch, which also performs routing for the subnets as well. All networks can talk to each other via the 6509 switch.

Now, with that being said I have a server ready to perform DHCP. Later down the road, I plan to implement the 80/20 rule, I only want to get DHCP running for the time being. The DHCP server will run on the 192.168.14.0 VLAN.

How do I configure the DHCP Server or ip helper-address to get the correct IP address for the subnet? For example, I need to make sure that the 192.168.11.0 network gets a 192.168.11.0 address and not a 192.168.13.0 address.

If this needs to be moved to a Windows forums, please move away. Let me know if you have any further questions.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: IP Helper-Address Help

On the DHCP server you need to create a scope for each subnet. On the router configure the ip helper-address command to point to the DHCP server. When the DHCP server receives the DHCP Discover packet from the router on behalf of the DHCP client, the server will assign an address for the appropriate scope based on the subnet that the request came from. You don't need to configure anything other than the scopes and the ip helper-address. Make sure to create the appropriate scope options for each scope (router, etc.).

Comment

Exactly what I needed to hear Mr. Qwerty. Thanks for the information.
      MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
        X