No announcement yet.

Cisco Packet Tracer 5.0 Questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco Packet Tracer 5.0 Questions

Hi all,

I am currently in the class that preps you for the CCNA exam, I have been using dynamips/dynagen however for awhile prior to the class, as well as being currently employed working in the networking field.

I have a few questions as far as PT5.0 is concerned however.

#1 Is it possible to use 1 DHCP server to rule all subnets with "ip helper-address"?

#2 it seems to crash if I don't use the gui a lot for interfaces, anyone else experiencing this issue?

Some more generalized questions:

If I want to better myself, "SELF-LEARNER" what type of lab should I shoot for? What equipment should I pick up for use at home to work on? I currently find myself way ahead in class and would like to keep it that way, I really want to understand everything and not be one of those people that is good at taking "tests."

Thanks in advance everyone

Re: Cisco Packet Tracer 5.0 Questions

Hi BluJ,

I just recently communicated with Cisco's Networking Academy Help Desk regarding the "ip helper-address" command not working... they simply responded that, for the time being, it does not work.

I wonder why they made this command available in the first place, don't you?

You can therefore start DHCP services on a router and send addresses to clients directly connected ONLY.

Best regards,

Joey Lanza

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the response!

I too wonder why they made the command available. I find it hard to micromanage vlans and subnets currently because I do have to add an additional DHCP server per vlan/subnet.

I have had up to 23 vlans working in PT5.0 but again its frustrating, at least Im learning subnetting I guess.

I wish they would allow for more configuration on the DHCP servers themselves, maybe setting scopes or allowing the ip helper-address to work. I currently work at a locationg that in under extreme budget crunches, so I get to see the use of 1 DHCP server to "rule them all" 28 vlans to be exact.

Thanks again Joey.

Still looking for recommendations on the CCNA lab for home use.

how can i upgrade IOS in PT5 from base to enterprize