Multicast Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multicast Problems

So I'm working on a project at work with Multicasting. This is the first time I've experienced multicasting so bear with me.

A friend at a different company said that it's a pretty simple process and you just turn on ip-multicasting on the main switch, put pim on the vlan you want enabled and make sure IGMP is on the edge switches. I've done all that and the latency goes to crap at my remote sites. I get huge delay, dropped packets, etc. I'm not seeing high processor usage and I'm just trying to find a way to find out what's going on. We have some weird setups so, maybe it's hard to do what we're doing?

Our Setup:

3 Main sites - 500MB Embarq Metro Ethernet that connect to each other through Cisco 6509s with encryption on the line.

Over 10 remote sites connected to our main site with 10MB Metro Ethernet also. These sites have Cisco 2821 routers.

So right now I'm only focusing on the three large sites (where the cameras will be) and turning pim on those vlans.

Site 1
    --------
    VLAN 1
    ip pim sparse-dense

VLAN 100 (vlan that connects to the main site)
    ip pim sparse-dense

Site 2
    --------
    VLAN 1
    ip pim sparse-dense

VLAN 110
    ip pim sparse-dense

Site 3
    -------
    VLAN 100
    ip pim sparse-dense

VLAN 110
    ip pim sparse-dense

VLAN 4 (my pc lan I'm testing on)
    ip pim sparse-dense

That's pretty much a very reduced look at our network, but hopefully it will help. Also, I forgot to mention that we're running EIGRP at all sites.
Working...
X