Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CISCO switch (1900 series) connecting to Internet

Hello all.

I know my switch is rather old (and unsupported by CISCO), but I got it free from a friend. Anywho, hopefully someone can help me here.

What I want to do is run an ethernet cable from my Internet modem and connect it into one of my uplink ports. Then, from there, I want to plug my computers into my switch. Basically, like this:
    Internet -> Switch -> Devices (PC, laptop, etc...)

Simple enough, eh? Problem is, I can never get a working connection doing it this way. Windows keeps saying, "limited or no connection".

However, if I connect the cable from my modem into my wireless router, then connect my switch to the router and PCs to the switch, which looks like this:
    Internet -> Router -> Switch -> Devices

It works flawlessly.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve the router-less routine?

Since I'm not using my router for anything (no need for port forwarding or the like), there shouldn't be any need for the middle-man, should there?

Re: CISCO switch (1900 series) connecting to Internet

The problem is that you need a device that makes NAT (to share an internet connection to multiple hosts); in the second topology you have this device : the router. To work ok your topology should look like this : internet line -> modem -> router -> cisco switch -> multiple hosts

Comment

Re: CISCO switch (1900 series) connecting to Internet

Originally posted by cielo View Post
      The problem is that you need a device that makes NAT (to share an internet connection to multiple hosts); in the second topology you have this device : the router. To work ok your topology should look like this : internet line -> modem -> router -> cisco switch -> multiple hosts
      That's what I was thinking...but, part of me was hoping I could avoid the NAT-use. Meh, all well, just means I got more work I can do w/ my switch then!

Thanks for the reply, by the way!

Comment

Working...
      X