VTP mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VTP mode

Hi Everyone, In our network the layer3 switch is connected to 2950 switch with a trunk link. I configured layer3 switch in a VTP server mode and I configured all vlans in that.2950 switch is configured as vtp client mode, So if want add the ports in 2950 switch to particular vlan is it possible because it is in client mode. Can anyone pass a solution for this. Awaiting your quick response

Re: VTP mode

VTP domain is used to centralize management of VLANs - VLAN's are created on the the switch that works in SERVER VTP operatiing mode. If you configured trunk links vlan database will be propagated to switches operating in CLIENT mode, if server & clients are in Same VTP domain

Comment

Re: VTP mode

Originally posted by jalakam View Post
      Hi Everyone, In our network the layer3 switch is connected to 2950 switch with a trunk link. I configured layer3 switch in a VTP server mode and I configured all vlans in that.2950 switch is configured as vtp client mode, So if want add the ports in 2950 switch to particular vlan is it possible because it is in client mode. Can anyone pass a solution for this. Awaiting your quick response
      And your problem is?
      In a VTP environment you may have the following state : server (on this switches you can create, delete or modify VLANs), client (you cannot add, remove or modify vlans) or transparent mode (the switch passes through the VTP frames but it doesn't learn nothing about vlans from the network - it has his own vlan database stored locally).
      To configure VTP in your network :
      1. switch/switches that works in server stare :
      Code:
      sw_vtpsrv#conf t
      sw_vtpsrv(config)#vtp mode server
      sw_vtpsrv(config)#vtp domain your_domain_name
      sw_vtpsrv(config)#vtp password you_domain_password
      2. switch in client mode :
      Code:
      sw_vtpclient#conf t
      sw_vtpclient(config)#vtp mode client
      sw_vtpclient(config)#vtp domain your_domain_name
      sw_vtpclient(config)#vtp password you_domain_password
      To check the VTP status use the following commands :
      show vtp status
      show vtp counters

be sure that the revision number is the same on clients and the vtp servers
      Last edited by cielo; 31st July 2008, 07:32.

Comment

Working...
      X