How to recover from erasing flash on 2950 Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to recover from erasing flash on 2950 Switch

I've recently started with working with cisco equipment - decided to borrow 4 2950 switches from work to get a bit of hands on in non-live environment.
    Bit too hasty at first as i erased the flash on two of them to give me clean start - realise that this wasn't a wise start as i only get the switch: prompt - cant get further than this.
    If i type version, i get

C2950 Boot Loader (C2950-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(11r)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Does this still mean that the IOS is still present and i can recover from erasing the flash.
    I was also wondering if i can copy the IOS from working switch using tftp onto one that isnt working - can this be done to rectify problem - as i see a problem as i dont seem to be able to give non working switch an ip address.

Would appreciate any help on above situation

Regards Martin

Re: How to recover from erasing flash on 2950 Switch

Just putting a reply to my original post as done a bit of digging on internet and discovered the xmodem data transfer method - new to me - as a lot of this is.

Using tftp i transferred a working ios bin file to pc then transferred back to non working switch using xmodem. One switch back to working and other transfer on the go just now.

The whole point of taking switches home was to get a better understanding of configs, vlans etc - didnt bank on this - but all part of learning process i suppose.

Comment

Oh you could configure a TFTP server on a switch but you already managed to fix it on a other (slower) way.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I assume that when your trying to start from scratch you mean that you were trying to delete the vlan information and the config file? If so then the command to delete the vlan data (which is in flash) is - 'delete flash:vlan.dat'. The 'write erase' command should also be used to clear the startup config and restore factory settings.

Comment

Working...
        X