Cisco 2948G-L3 Basic setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 2948G-L3 Basic setup

Hello, I am having trouble with a Cisco 2948G-L3. In particular, I cannot get the switch to move traffic between ports. Lets assume I have two computers, one at fastethernet1 (computer ip 10.0.0.2) and the other at fastethernet2 (computer ip 10.0.0.3). Lets also assume the switch is starting from factory default. Here is the commands I am doing, maybe somebody can be kind enough to show me where I am going wrong.

Router> enable
    Router# conf t
    Router(config)# int f1
    Router(config-if)# ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 <-- (this leads to ip address conflicts with the computer, should I use something else?)
    Router(config-if)# no shutdown
    Router(config-if)# exit
    Router(config)# int f2
    Router(config-if)# ip address 10.0.0.3 255.255.255.0 <-- (Switch always complains "10.0.0.0 overlaps with FastEthernet1")
    Router(config-if)# exit

I'm sure I'm just missing one critical step here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Cisco 2948G-L3 Basic setup

If you are just trying to exchange packets between two devices on the LAN you do not need to assign IP addresses to the Ports.

Comment

Originally posted by caspiansails View Post
      If you are just trying to exchange packets between two devices on the LAN you do not need to assign IP addresses to the Ports.
      Ok, lets suppose I don't assign assign ip addresses to the ports and just issue "no shutdown" to the two ports. I still cannot make the connection. The two computers are unable to ping one another and the Router is also unable to ping the computer's ip addresses. Any thoughts?

Comment

Ok, a few people were nice enough to point out that the 2948G-L3 doesn't do plug and play switching like other Cisco models. They said that to get to L2 operation on these devices you have to go through bridging. So here is my new problem (code first):

Router> enable
        Router# conf t
        Router(config)# bridge irb
        Router(config)# bridge 1 protocol ieee
        Router(config)# int f15
        Router(config-if)# bridge-group 1
        Router(config-if)# int f16
        Router(config-if)# bridge-group 1
        Router(config-if)# int BVI1
        Router(config-if)# ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

Now the computer at "int f15" is 10.0.0.118 (subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 10.0.0.1 Static IP for testing) and can ping the switch at 10.0.0.1

The computer at "int f16" is 10.0.0.119 (subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 10.0.0.1, Static IP) and can also ping 10.0.0.1

The two computers -cannot- ping one another (not a firewall issue) AND the switch cannot ping either of them. But, the switch can ping 10.0.0.1. Any ideas?

Comment

Hi, I'm have the same issue. If you do an "show arp", the mac address is not shown. Does anyone know how to get this going? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X