Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VPN Configuration on the CISCO 2600 Router (12.4)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN Configuration on the CISCO 2600 Router (12.4)

Dear Community,

I am facing a serious situation in my job. I am supposed to setup a VPN connection between a Computer and an old CISCO 2600 Router. The purpose is to remotely manage the Servers which are all offsite.

Unfortunetly I am inexperienced when it comes to CISCO and do not know much on IOS configuration. To make it easier to explain I have drawn up a small viso sheet that shows how the whole thing should be setup

As you can see it look simple enough. The Cisco router is connected directly to a leased line which has one public IP. The Remote users will want to use the CISCO VPN Client to connect to the router, after which they can start there management applications.

I have done some researching on the net but cannot find a simple enough guide to setup this environment. I have already setup the IP Addresses on the CISCO on the external eth0/0 (220.100.8.5) port and internal eth 0/1 (10.12.0.1) port.

The router should only accept connections from the following IP 220.200.80/30 and drop everything else.

I would really appreciate any help I can get here, with my wish being a complete IOS config script for the Router. If not I would appreciate any links to guides that can help me on a step by step basis.

The 2600 Cisco IOS is version 12.2(28D), using the following build c2600-ik9s-mz.122-28d

Thank you very much in advance
    Last edited by kyryian; 16th July 2008, 14:04.

Re: VPN Configuration on the CISCO 2600 Router (12.4)

Not sure if you can use the Cisco VPN Client to connect to a 2600 series router.

I do know for sure you can connect to an ASA. If you have a bit of a budget to work with I would go with an ASA 5505. They're relatively inexpensive and they're still very much in support by Cisco. Probably get away spending less than $700.

May be wrong on the 2600 series and the VPN Client. I'm sure someone else here can set you straight on that.

Best of luck.
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

According to CISCO it should be compatable
      • Cisco 6500 / 7600 IPSec VPNSM and VPN SPA IOS Software Release 12.2SX and later
      • Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrator Software Version 3.0 and later
      • Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(T and later
      • Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 6.0 and later
      • Cisco ASA 5500 Series Software Version 7.0 and higher

If worse comes to worse I have a second 2600 in stock I could use, but that would be non-preferred.

Comment

There are a couple of VPN configurations on Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...806ad10e.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk58...800946b7.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk58...800949ba.shtml
        CCNA, Network+

Comment

Thank you very much for the articles.

The problem is that I will not get a Radius Server. Can I not use a pre-shared key and connect directly to the router?

Comment

Originally posted by kyryian View Post
            Thank you very much for the articles.

The problem is that I will not get a Radius Server. Can I not use a pre-shared key and connect directly to the router?
            By using this config from Cisco, the router is the endpoint.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...806ad10e.shtml

Any reason you do not want to use a pre-shared key?
            CCNA, Network+

Comment

thanks, this is the best solution.

Thank you all for your kind help

Comment

Working...
              X