No announcement yet.

cisco 4400 wireless controller setup!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cisco 4400 wireless controller setup!!!

Hi gents,

i am trying to configure cisco 4400 wireless controller. i got stuck at one instance. the senario is as follows:

we have different VLAN's for different gorups like we have vlan 100 for our server and 200 for wireless laptops and 300 for wireless phones, so on....

he what i need to know is whether the light waight access points connecting to 4477 controller will reseave ip address from my DHCP server. becouse i have included 4477 controller in my server VLAN and all Access points connected to controller through switch. but i have not set DHCP scope for my VLAN100. my question is:

--> whether these access points gets an ip address.
    --> is yes(gets IP) then do i need to add vlan 100 scope to my DHCP server so that these AP's will take ip.
    --> do i need to set static ip for AP's.

please help me out.

and if possible provice me with installation and configuration steps for these setup.

thanks.

Re: cisco 4400 wireless controller setup!!!

I am running 4400 series wireless controller on my site, actually 2 for redundancy.

I will answer your questions, then tell you a bit about my site.

--> whether these access points gets an ip address.

Yes, they will need an IP address to communicate with the controller

--> is yes(gets IP) then do i need to add vlan 100 scope to my DHCP server so that these AP's will take ip.

If you want your wireless clients to get an address from VLAN 100, then yes.

--> do i need to set static ip for AP's.

You don't have to, but it's nice for monitoring purposes.

About my site:

We have 2 4400 series controllers that work together in failover redundacy.

We have 1 VLAN for Access Points, which is also the same VLAN the controllers are on. One this VLAN we setup a small DHCP scope which links the AP with the controller and then we statically assign the IP address and name it. In other words, this VLAN is a AP management VLAN.

We have another VLAN for wireless clients.

Basically the run down is this, my APs and controllers communicate on VLAN 10 to the entire network. My clients communicate on VLAN 20 to the entire network and internet.

I hope this helps some.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Re: cisco 4400 wireless controller setup!!!

boondock,

I have setup a wireless network using cisco 4400 and about 12 ap. I have added a second 4400 and configured it for failover, which works great except that i am also using mac filtering on my aps. The question is do i have to add all the mac addresses in again on the second 4400 or is there a way to trsansfer the information from the first 4400 to the second 4400?

Hope you can help

Comment

Working...
      X