Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlan Confusion

Hi Everyone,

I had doubt like after configuring vlans in a switch(eg:vlan2 & vlan3) and if i tried to ping a host from vlan 2 to host in vlan 2,the frames comeout of the switchport and switch adds a vlanID,if the host resides in the same switch the vlanID is removed and whether the frame is forwarded to all the ports who is the member of that Vlan or it will forward to particular one host.Thanks in advance for your reply.Awaiting your quick response.

Re: Vlan Confusion

Switches only forward traffic out the ports of the host receiving the traffic. The traffic is not broadcasted out all ports.

Not sure if that's the what you were wanting, but that's how I took it.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Hi,

My question is if the switch receives the frame from vlan2 and also the destination vlan2 is also in the same switch. In such case the whether the switch will forward to only destination vlan2 or all the ports who is a member of vlan2.If the switch is having trunkport than it will forward the frames through trunk port.Am i right.
      I hope now you can understand.

Comment

Answer is Yes.

Comment

Hi,

If answer is yes than the frame received by the switch who is a member of vlan2 also contains Mac address,So by checking the MAC table it can directly send to particular host of Vlan2 instead of sending to all other ports who is a member of vlan2.Kindly anyone tell me how exactly it works.It is cracking my head.Awaiting your swift response.Thanks in advance for your reply.
          Last edited by jalakam; 4th July 2008, 18:26.

Comment

Working...
          X