No announcement yet.

Enabling SNMP on Cisco Switches and bandwith issues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling SNMP on Cisco Switches and bandwith issues

Hi kind people, I've been charged with enabing snmp on all our Cisco Switches to enable some external people to monitor our network and work out how and what is utilizing our bandwidth. I must admit that I have no idea where to start from, We use mostly 2950 switches and I'm pretty comfortable with the CLI, but I'm totally fazed by where to start from. I would imagine that if someone wanted to monitor something, then what they want to monitor should be 'sent out' for them to monitor, in which case I'll be saying to each switch, 'display this or that to this location or that location' so that someone will capture whatever you've been configured to send out.

I've read about communities, traps, informs but I can't put everything together to make any sense. Can someone help me? I'll provide more info if I haven't made myself clear with this piece. thanks for your help.

It might be useful to note that in all the offices, the switches are configured as clusters, i.e 1 command switch and a number of slave switches.
    Last edited by pdania; 23rd June 2008, 15:09. Reason: useful additional info

Re: Enabling SNMP on Cisco Switches and bandwith issues

I have never done this myself, but I did find this article that might guide you.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: Enabling SNMP on Cisco Switches and bandwith issues

on my Catalyst 6509, FYI:

snmp-server community snmpreadme RO
      snmp-server community snmpwriteme RW
      snmp-server ifindex persist
      snmp-server trap link ietf
      snmp-server packetsize 8192
      snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart
      snmp-server enable traps chassis
      snmp-server enable traps module
      snmp-server enable traps tty
      snmp-server enable traps config-copy
      snmp-server enable traps config
      snmp-server enable traps event-manager
      snmp-server enable traps hsrp
      snmp-server enable traps syslog
      snmp-server enable traps envmon fan shutdown supply temperature status
      snmp-server enable traps alarms
      snmp-server host snmpwriteme