VPN configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN configuration

I am a hobbyist trying to configure a router for VPN. It will only forward ports and I cannot find literature on what next to do. I am aware of remote desktop and other remote solutions but my goal is to learn firewalls. How does one determine what port numbers should be used and what protocols. Looking for a step by step how to for Windows XP and Vista Ultimate. Guidance sought

Re: VPN configuration

Depends really.
    What router, what endpoint, you mention vista/xp so are you wanting to vpn from them or have the router do it.
    Cisco.com has loads of advice including ports etc so I would start there from what you have written.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

if you want to learn firewalls, either go for the PIX stuff, or set up a server and a firewall on that. vista and xp are the wrong tools
      ________
      BUY CANNABIS SEEDS
      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:37.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

but my goal is to learn firewalls
        If you're a hobbyist and want to learn firewalls, let me suggest that you utilize one of the plethora of older computers that are probably littering your [basement | closet | attic | garage] and turn it into a linux based firewall. I've heard the IPCop is one of the best. There are apparently some live CD based firewalls too.

How does one determine what port numbers should be used and what protocols.

Seriosly. I'm going to be using a Windows Server 2003 box as a VPN endpoint fairly soon and I'll need to know which ports to pass through for PPTP. You can be sure that I'll be Googling to refresh my memory as to which ports are necessary.

Looking for a step by step how to for Windows XP and Vista Ultimate.
        So, does this imply that you're using a Windows OS as the firewall on your network? Or simply that the hosts that you're using on the network have the firewall turned on?

In Wikipedia's entry on Window's Firewall, look at the links under the "External Links" subheading. That has some simplistic tutorials on adding exceptions. That may be a help to you... or you already an old pro at that level of stuff?

Of course, if you really want to get some experience with firewalls, you could always go buy one of these.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X