Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco IOS dowload via TFTP fails in XP - file not found

Hi,
    Am new to this so will try not to be too vague.
    Basically I am trying to download a new image to a 2621xm router, this is something I have done many times before with no trouble. Now when I initiate the connection on the router the tftp client states that the requsted file cannot be found...
    I can ping ok and the firewalls are tuned off, there is not security on the router and I am logged into the PC as Administrator.
    The file names are correct and the tftp app has the requested file in it's base directory.
    This also happens on my laptop with Vista home premium but this I'm told may be vista requiring upgrade to ultimate.
    Here's a copy from the terminal:

[B]Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.3.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    .!!!!
    Success rate is 80 percent (4/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms
    Router#copy tftp flash
    Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.3.1
    Source filename []? c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-10.bin
    Destination filename [c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-10.bin]?
    Accessing tftp://192.168.3.1/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-10.bin...
    %Error opening tftp://192.168.3.1/c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-10.bin (No such file or directo
    ry)

And this is the log file from tftp server:

Connection received from 192.168.3.2 on port 51047 [28/02 22:07:56.883]
    Read request for file <c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-10.bin>. Mode octet [28/02 22:07:56.889]
    File <c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-10.bin> : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified. [28/02 22:07:56.892]

Anybody seen anything like this?
    Cheers
    Danny
    Last edited by Danny15; 28th February 2008, 23:16.

Re: Cisco IOS dowload via TFTP fails in XP - file not found

You should had posted under Cisco Networking tab...........

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

thread moved...
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Make sure the TFTP server is hosting the correct directory.
        CCNA, Network+

Comment

If by 'hosting the correct dir' you mean is the file requested in the base directory or root directory of the tftp app then yes or am i being stupid and missing another factor in all this.

Comment

Hey Danny15,

Make sure the actual image file is in the directory that you are trying to tftp from. Also make sure type the name of the image correctly.

ryan

Comment

Thanks, but to clarify I have used the tftp server in the same directory as the file to download and with the settings pointing to the base directory.
              I have also moved the tftp dir to C:\ with the same results.
              I have tried a dirrerent tftp app with a different root dir and a different IOS image copy and pasted into the term emulator (Teraterm).
              I have disabled UAC on the C: drive and set up an environment variable path the various directories.
              The firewall is off and I have even gone as far as stopping the tftp service and finally uninstalling the AVG security, all to no avail....
              I am logged in as Admin and have full file control rights.
              Just to prove a point I tried to tftp a small text file between PC's and get the same result, so as far as I'm concerned this would eliminate any router issue - right?
              So I might have to cancel this thread and enter the world of desktop support, why does building an mpls network suddenly seem so easy?
              Thanks for your help on this and any further comments anyone has.

Danny

Comment

It definitely does not sound like a routing issue. I have used tftp programs successfully on various OS's. Typically this error is associated with the name not matching exactly. If the log on your tftp server shows you connecting and the image is in the correct directory and you have permissions set correctly in the tftp server there is not much else to prevent the router from retreiving the file. One thing you can note as the IOS image grows larger you may want to consider using ftp instead of tftp as some implementations of tftp - typically older implementations - have issues with file sizes of 16MB and larger.

Comment

Working...
                X