No announcement yet.

Cisco 1811 Config WAN

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 1811 Config WAN

I'm new to implementing cisco, and am having a bit of trouble with the 1800 series router.

What we're wanting to do is have the router act as any normal router, except that we need three internal networks. One of which I'm not sure what for (boss man hasn't provided me that information.. Servers maybe?), One for our business machines, and another for client machines which are often times infected with viruses

So basically:

Internet ---- Cable modem ---- Cisco 1811 ----- 3 separate networks

I believe I've gotten everything LAN-side taken care of, in that I have 3 VLANs, each with its own interface (fe2, 3, 4) and they're handing out dhcp addresses like we want.

My problem now is getting the router to the internet. I have a static IP from my ISP to use and have it configured on the fastethernet0 interface. What am I missing?

Do I need PPPoE set up?
    Do I need to use NAT?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cisco 1811 Config WAN

You will probably need PAT if you only have one static IP address which is basically configuring NAT with the overload option. You will need a default route (static) pointing to the cable modem interface. Assuming routing is working okay and you can route between the interfaces. Not sure what your configuration looks like but some acl's for securing the cable modem interface. Sounds like you could use some filtering to avoid any virus spreading from subnet to subnet as well or just not allow routing between some of the subnets.