No announcement yet.

Help? Setting up Cisco 877w (complete noobie)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help? Setting up Cisco 877w (complete noobie)

Hi Guys

Please have a look and see if you can help.

This is kind of a unique scenario, so i just hope this can be done.
    Please note: I'm a complete noobie when it comes to this stuff.

PC -----|Netgear Switch|-------------|Fortigate Router/Firewall|--- ADSL Internet

So firstly: I have about 20 pc's connected to a netgear switch on ip range 10.1.14.*
    A Fortigate router/firewall also connects to the switch. This router is used for the Internet connection. It has a static ip of

Problems: The Fortigate router is a 3rd party installation from our ISP. I have absolutly no admin rights on this router. Everything was 100% till a few days ago when my MD said he needs facebook blocked. This can be done easily on the Fortigate Router/Firewall ( I presume ) but , because it's "3rd party" managed, it is extremely expensive. Their asking us a huge amount of money each month to block ONE URL.

so, in conclusion: This kinda gave me an idea. I have a Cisco 877w Router/Firewall collecting dust in storage. What I thought (hopefully possible) is to set this 877 up between the netgear switch and the fortigate router to do some URL Filtering. Is this possible? How do I set this up? I've tried and tried and tried, with no luck!

Any ideas guys? Any tips?

I have never setup, configured or even looked at the console of a cisco router. HELP PLEASE.
    Last edited by wiehan; 11th January 2008, 14:03.