Basic Cisco Router Config Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Cisco Router Config Question

I have a basic question...maybe more of a clarification.

Right now I have 2 servers both connected to a cisco 851 router.
    Servers have 2 nics each.
    The router is at 192.168.3.1

Right now, each servers external nic is:

Srv1 at 192.168.3.10
    Srv2 at 192.168.3.11

If I change the servers nics to be each on a different subnet, say srv1 at 1.1
    and srv2 at 2.1, then what config changes do I make in the router so that the servers can see each other, while both servers still accessing outside or anything like a printer on 3.x network.? Is it just static routes? what would it look like?

If the router stays at 3.1, would this still work?

Thanks;
    T

Re: Basic Cisco Router Config Question

I would use VLANs instead, providing you have managed switch that those servers are attached to.
    One of the reasons for that is that ACL will have to be created on router in order to enable server to comunicate with one another and windows networking requires quite a few ports to be forwareded.

Good luck,

Trbonja

Comment

Thanks but that sounds complicated for the very small network I'm trying to help with here. Only a handful of pcs. We don't have managed switches so vlans are out.
      I'm looking for a simple stuff.
      Why can't I plug in a server with address of say 192.168.1.1 into router lan port
      and another server with say 2.1 in another lan port. Isn't it just a matter of then using static routes ( ip route? on router.) so that the 2 servers or pcs connected to them can see each other? And router still provides internet and firewall to both?

I thought this was a simple situation and I'm just looking for clarification.

Thanks.
      T

Comment

I would suggest to use subnet. As u require two subnet say 192.168.3.1 then the two usable subnet will be 192.168.3.64 & 192.168.3.128 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192, since two bit have been hired from the last octet. As per your statement the router has two ethernet port, configure the two subnet and you would get 62 usable host in each subnet. configure the host according to the subnet, you would be able to ping each other. No matter in which subnet you like to keep the two server. You may keep one server in 192.168.3.64 subnet and another one in 192.168.3.128, it would ping successfull.

Hope it work...............

Thanks
        natraj

Comment

Originally posted by tdqh View Post
          Thanks but that sounds complicated for the very small network I'm trying to help with here. Only a handful of pcs. We don't have managed switches so vlans are out.
          I'm looking for a simple stuff.
          Why can't I plug in a server with address of say 192.168.1.1 into router lan port
          and another server with say 2.1 in another lan port. Isn't it just a matter of then using static routes ( ip route? on router.) so that the 2 servers or pcs connected to them can see each other? And router still provides internet and firewall to both?

I thought this was a simple situation and I'm just looking for clarification.

Thanks.
          T
          Why would you bother if the network is that small?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Because there are domains. Each of the 2 servers hosts an AD domain and they must remain separate for reasons that I can't change. One domain is used for software testing. Both servers connect to a 4 port cisco 851 router. A printer is also connected to the 3rd router port at 192.168.3.99 and is used by both networks.

There are 2 other important items as well.
            1. They are also using Acronis on both servers as backup with a USB ext drive connected only to ServerA. For Acronis on ServerB to work it simply has a drive letter mapped to the ext drive on ServerA.
            I like this its simple and no one has to swap the ext drive between servers.
            So its vital that both servers can see each other for this reason.

2. They're using cisco VPN. (not thru rras on either server). Access is needed to pcs on either domain. This is currently working.

Right now its a bit of mess to make this work with 2 nics in each server with static routes setup on servers and the router as well. Seems a bit hacked up. This is very casual work for me (not an employee with this company) I'm a novice with cisco, ok with servers and pcs and am just trying to simplify the existing setup. Unfortunately, I don't have time (nor does the company) or resources to redesign or reconfigure the whole thang from scratch.
            I'm looking for a reasonably good "quick fix" hopefully with a 1 nic solution in each server but keeping the 2 items as described. ( I know bad, bad). Not a nasty hack as such. I'd like to think of it as a quick or moderately quick simplify.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X