No announcement yet.

IP VPN MPLS design requirements

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP VPN MPLS design requirements

I have not designed this before , I am looking to make a simple proposal for a manufacture company that is looking to implement IP VPN over MPLS for his/her customers (30 of them). Each customer site has got around 10 users.

Applications are to be used database and http to access their accounts at the manufacture company (I can not find more about that which obviously effects bandwidth required)

Customer right now accessing manufacture company site through ADSL connection (Internet)

1- What are the recommended requirements (router, leased line, etc,,,,) for each customer to have ?

2- If we want to implement IP VPN MPLS , do we need to replace that ADSL connection with a leased line ? or still we can used ADSL connection ? or we have to have another specific connection for IP VPN beside ADSL, (i.e. one connection is dedicated for IP VPN and the ADSL connection for accessing the internet )

3- If I am looking to use a Cisco router as Customer Edge router (CE router, because client right now does not have a Cisco router ) what type of router do I need ? what module should a router have ? what type of ISO ? or does not matter ?

4- Do I need to have any other devices beside a Cisco router ?

Re: IP VPN MPLS design requirements

Generally you would let the telco/ISP handle the MPLS side of the equation. You give them a list of sites and what link speeds you need into each one and they will deliver the last mile line and the CE device. You plug your router into the telco CE device and call it a day - you never actually see the MPLS end of things.

ADSL links can be used to tie into an MPLS cloud if your telco offers it.
    Brian Desmond
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

Re: IP VPN MPLS design requirements

Thanks for this feedback

ADSL links can be used to tie into an MPLS cloud if your telco offers it.
      I see.
      Last edited by zillah; 8th December 2007, 03:28.