Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with host computer connecting to Internet on a different VLAN

Novice to VLAN configuration,

Ive added a Cisco WS-C2912-XL-EN 12 port Switch to my home network.
    I have a Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem connected to my Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Cable/DSL Router, Linksys Wireless-G Access Point WAP54G, and Motorola VT 2442-VD (Vonage) Adapter (VOIP) connected to the switch.
    My hosts on VLAN 1 can connect to the Internet after I configured the VLAN 1 with IP Address (72.200.xx.xxx), Subnet Mask (255.255.252.0) and default Gateway (72.200.xx.x).

I created a VLAN 5, and assign port 3 to it with the same IP Address (72.200.xx.xxx), Subnet Mask (255.255.252.0) and default Gateway (72.200.xx.x), but I get a message stating that IP (72.200.xx.x) is within VLAN 1 range. I tried several different ranges without success. I am trying to use VLAN 5 to separate my Voice from data.

All my computers connected to the switch are running Windows XP. What Im I doing wrong?

Re: Problem with host computer connecting to Internet on a different VLAN

The 2912 is only L2 and doesnt support L3 functionality. You can only have one Vlan interface up which by default is Vlan 1 (management vlan). The only way you could get this to work is if your router supported a "Router on a stick configuration for intervlan routing, but your linksys doesnt have that functionality.
    CCNP,MCSA (Win2k),Net +,A+

Comment

Packet,

Thanks For the explanation on communication between to VLANs. I have another 2912 switch that I ordered, so I will use the second one for another VLAN configuration. Can I use the second switch to do VTP? If not, I will purchase a L3 switch. Which Cisco L3 switch do you recommend?
      This Forum is great. Keep up the good work everyone.

Tsignal32

Comment

Yes the 2912 does support vtp. In regards to layer 3 switches I would say a 3550 EMI which can be found in the 500.00 - 900.00 range or the newer 3560 which is going to cost a little more. Is this for certification? If so you can always rent rack time to get some L3 switch exposure.
        CCNP,MCSA (Win2k),Net +,A+

Comment

Packet,

Thanks For the options that I have. You have been very helpful. Im waiting for my second switch for VTP configuration.

Tsignal32

Comment

Working...
          X