Cisco ASA Licensing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco ASA Licensing question

Forgive the dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

We're looking at purchasing a few ASA's and I'm wondering what exactly is meant by "50 user bundle."

What do they consider a "user"?

Would it be a mobile user that connects to the network via VPN?

Or is it how many users on the internal network connect to the internet, or another site, through the ASA?

Thank you in advance for the help. Cisco has got my head spinning!
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: Cisco ASA Licensing question

FYI

Alright, I was able to get a hold of someone finally to get an answer on this.

The "user" is defined as an IP on the protected network. A bit simplified but I get the point.

So, if I have say 20 machines(PC's and servers) then I would need the 50 user bundle, if I have only a couple machines then I would do just fine with the standard 10 user bundle.

Hope that makes sense and helps anyone else out who is confused like I was.

Comment

Be careful about understanding what Cisco means by "protected" ip. They may mean every device that is behind the firewall not just computers that access the internet through the firewall. This is what Checkpoint does and it kills you with license costs and creates problems for legitimate internet access for your computers.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        Be careful about understanding what Cisco means by "protected" ip. They may mean every device that is behind the firewall not just computers that access the internet through the firewall. This is what Checkpoint does and it kills you with license costs and creates problems for legitimate internet access for your computers.
        Yes, I did understand that. Thanks for pointing it out as I wasn't clear about this in my explanation.

Thankfully the licensing going from 50 to Unlimited users on an ASA5505 is only about $150. Better safe than sorry, especially when safe only costs an extra $150.

Comment

Working...
        X