No announcement yet.

Exchanging RIP with a Host

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchanging RIP with a Host

This article ... why in the world would you even consider a new design doing this? Much less call it "opening yourself up to so many options for your network design and configuration"?

This is an ancient design that you still see here and there on old mainframe and "big iron" type boxes. It made sense then for why it's there. Now a day those reasons are pretty pointless given the technology we have on the host and the upstream router(s)/switch(s).

This article advocates defeating the point of a default gateway for the host. Beats me why in the world you would even consider that alone. It's a horrible design philosophy and I'd love to see an actual implementation get properly drawn out on a diagram. I'd also love to see the troubleshooting workflows you would have to go through with this now that you have a dynamic state the host can be in for traffic patterns.

It's also a nice little security hole that coudl be pretty easily exploited ... we might as well flip ICMP redirects on while we're at it.

FYI some of the dynamic routing functionality in Windows is pulled in the LH (200 release as nobody uses it.
    Brian Desmond
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

Re: Exchanging RIP with a Host

Hi Brian

I am sorry to hear that you didn't like this article topic.

I certainly wasn't advocating that everyone run out and do this. This was more of a "is it possible & how would you do it" article than a "best practices" article, by any means.

I once wrote an article called "using a Cisco router as a FTP server". I certainly wouldn't tell everyone to do it but it was interesting to write from a theoretical perspective because most people would say that it couldn't be done.

I feel that the interest in this article is similar. Most people don't know that Windows has any routing functionality nor would they guess that Windows Server could exchange routes with a Cisco router.

If you have any suggestions for article topics, feel free to pass them my way. I want to make sure that all the Petri articles are useful and I value your input.

David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: &