What is your opinion about getting the SMARTnet service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your opinion about getting the SMARTnet service

I'm about to dive into the Cisco world by purchasing a couple of routers and I was wondering if the SMARTnet service is worth it?

The vendor of course recommended it but do we need it?
    Last edited by JeremyW; 18th July 2007, 14:18. Reason: grammar... of course
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: What is your opinion about getting the SMARTnet service

Hi Jeremy,

Smartnet does three things-

1) covers the HW in case it breaks
    2) authorizes your already owned (purchased seperatly) Cisco IOS license for IOS upgrades
    3) allows you to call in for tech support on that serial number

On older equipment, many times, the HW maint. isn't worth it. The smartnet on a 2610, for example, might be $500 per year when I can buy a 2610 on ebay for $400. However, the IOS upgrades might be worth it.

Currently, (not that I would do this or endorse it at all) you could get smartnet for 1 of your, say, 10 routers, that are all the same and you could download the IOS and apply it to all 10 routers without Cisco's knowledge (you would be breaking the license agreements of course).

In the future, Cisco will have a licensing server on the network that will keep all licenses up to date - like Microsoft's licensing server (I hope it is better than theirs).

I'll tell you what I do - I buy smartnet on all of my core production routers every year with 24 x 7 service & 4 hour response. For all of my remote routers (50+ of them), I buy smartnet on a handful so that I can call in for tech support on that "model' of router. As all my remote routers are older and I don't expect to need to upgrade the IOS, I don't buy it for them.

I hope that helps
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks David. That does help.

I think I'll end up getting it for both because they're different models (1721 used and 2811 new) and the SMARTnet was less than $200 for the 1721.

After a year I'll consider if I want to renew both or one or none....

Cheers!
      Regards,
      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I do the exact same thing that david does, i can tell you it's definitely worth it if your company cant have downtime. i spend all day working on cisco equipment, but i still occasionally get stumpted and ive had nothing but good experiences with the cisco TAC. I've only had to use them a couple times in the last few years, but it was worth it when i needed fast assistance.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Even thought I greatly trust David's opinion, it's always good to have multiple people saying the same thing.

Cheers!
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X