No announcement yet.

Cisco serial Wan interface

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco serial Wan interface

Hi guys,

This is the first time for me in this forum, and it would be very nice if someone could help me in this matter.
    Well, i am planning to buy a cisco router for my office, which has an internet connectivity via sattelite modem (i have a VSAT). The modem has a serial interface DB-25 LVDS and can achieve an output of 10 Mbps.
    The problem here is that, i might not use for sure the 10 Mbps and i am considering a 6Mbps instead. So can anyone advise me which cisco router to get and which interface does it require to connect to the modem serial at 6Mbps speed?
    Is there anything else Than HSSI to use ? that could be for example cheaper ?

Re: Cisco serial Wan interface

I would suggest checking on whether the company providing the satellite modem can provide more of a "satellite router", that could output to ethernet. Surely they have had that request before so that you don't have to try to reinvent the wheel. (just a thought)

Back to your question-
    In skimming the serial WIC documentation, I noticed a number of caveats saying things like "will only run a x speed with x router" so it would appear that you should be very careful in reading to determine which router and which WIC card to select.

Also, is the serial port you will be connecting to async or synch serial? That makes a big difference on the speed.

Also, there is the new HWIC serial that is available for the newer router.

Here are some links:

I hope that helps!
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: &