Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switchport mode access - switchport mode trunk

Hi

What is the different between switchport mode access and switchport mode trunk

Re: Switchport mode access - switchport mode trunk

It has been awhile since I have done anything Cisco but I believe that "switchport mode trunk" puts the particular port into trunking mode where you need to further specify your trunking options. "switchport mode access" puts the port into a state that can access regular network traffic on whatever VLAN is specified. Like I said it has been a while since I have done Cisco so I could be wrong. I am sure that a simple Google search will reveal more answers. Hope that helps
    Justin
    A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

"Switchport Mode Access" = Assigns the port to a VLAN

"Switchport Mode Trunk" = Makes the port linkable to other switches/routers.
      CCNA, Network+

Comment

Access puts hte port on a single vlan - it's a vanilla switchport. Trunked ports carry multiple vlans and differentiate them by either adding a tag to the packet (802.1Q) or encapsulation the packet (ISL).
        Thanks,
        Brian Desmond
        Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
        www.briandesmond.com

Comment

Replied in the other version of this:

Access puts hte port on a single vlan - it's a vanilla switchport. Trunked ports carry multiple vlans and differentiate them by either adding a tag to the packet (802.1Q) or encapsulation the packet (ISL).

To add to that, access ports are your standard edge ports for hosts. Trunk ports are generally used for uplinks between equipment (switches, sometimes routers/firewalls, etc).
          Thanks,
          Brian Desmond
          Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
          www.briandesmond.com

Comment

Working...
          X