Vlans on a cisco 7200 router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlans on a cisco 7200 router

I need some assistance with setting up a vlan on a cisco 7200 router. To clarify, I am not talking about Qtagged vlans or ISL, but just local vlans on that router only. Here's the situation: I have two serial interfaces and two FE interfaces that I need to use on one router, splitting them up into 2 vlans...one vlan for Serial0 and FE0, the other vlan for Serial1 and FE1. I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work, so please correct me if I am wrong about this assumption.
    When searching for examples of a similar configuration however, I came across something I had not thought of, and that is that non Qtagged vlans operate at layer 2 (dealing with ports and macs (and some ip based)) but since the router operates at Layer 3, this probbably has to involve using qtagged vlans locally. Am I way off here? Either way, like I said, I have not done this before and don't have any other models to test with (as the plethura of cisco 2600 routers I have don't seem to have the right image to support vlans) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

Re: Vlans on a cisco 7200 router

Hi CounterStrike,
    As far as my knowledge is concern, I do not think we can enable VLAN on router. You can only implement VLAN using switch. Router is for communication between diffrent VLANs. If you want to isolate your network with VLAN use switch.

Comment

Re: Vlans on a cisco 7200 router

You can't do this.

Are you trying to bridge the interfaces? If so look up bridging and bridge groups - you'd place each pair into a seperate bridge group.

I'm not clear on exactly what you're trying to accomplish though.
      Thanks,
      Brian Desmond
      Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
      www.briandesmond.com

Comment

Working...
      X