Pros vs Cons w/ subnetting vs vlan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros vs Cons w/ subnetting vs vlan

I am running out of IPs and need to get a few more. right now i have 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0

We have about 50 infrastructure/server pieces of equip (servers/switches/routers...)

Should I resubnet to 192.168.0.1 -192.168.1.154 (255.255.254.0) and keep the infrastructure together with the workstations...

or should I create another network/vlan (192.168.2.x) for just the workstations and route between them?

What are the cons of separating my infrastructure (to include servers and printers) from the workstations?
    Thank you,

Marc

Re: Pros vs Cons w/ subnetting vs vlan

Hi

Subnetting will lead to modify all ur LAN re-addressing, modification on route entries in Router ( if any) and any NAT changes as well . I think its better to add new address range ( 10.x.x.x) as a secondary IP for all the LAN PCs and server , routers etc which has old IP 192.168.1.x.

And add the new devices to new address as primary.. this will make both old and new devices communicate...

Your shared folders and permissions will not needed to be changed,,,

Hope this will work..

With Best Regards

Prabu
    prabu

Comment

I recommend doing the extra work and migrating to private class A. Businesses should always use this since you never know how soon or how big a business will grow.

if you were to use 255.255.254.0 what's to say you won't be in this situation again in 10 years?

Do the extra work now and subnet a class A is my recommendation.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, but I don't see me needing more IP addresses in either range, because we basically have our LAN/WAN segmented into VLANS for each building/site.

I was more concerned with all of the printers/file servers being on a different VLAN than the workstations. Is that going to cause an adverse affect? We are using a 3750 as a core switch that will be handling all of the routing between VLANS.
        Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by tnshurtm View Post
          I was more concerned with all of the printers/file servers being on a different VLAN than the workstations. Is that going to cause an adverse affect? We are using a 3750 as a core switch that will be handling all of the routing between VLANS.
          No it won't give you any problems as long as you setup you're routing correctly.
          Although you need to make sure that DNS is working correctly, and all the servers which are migrating to th new VLAN should re-register themselfs into DNS.

Also i wouldn't recommend using A-classes. It gives you way to much overhead which make it harder to manage all those addresses
          Last edited by Dumber; 19th June 2007, 17:38.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks Dumber,

I wouldn't move any of the servers or infrastructure...too many static IPs. I would just move the workstations.

We already have one building that is on it's own VLAN so I am pretty sure I am good to go for DNS.

Anything else to look out for?
            Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Except routing, No.
              Maybe you can shorten the leasetime from the DHCP scope so you make sure that clients would re-register with there new IP-address.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Marcel is on the ball here. The rest, sorry, no.

Putting your servers and workstations on seperate vlans/subnets gives you the ability to do some firewalling/access control between them down the road too.

Expanding to a /23 is a valid strategy too although probably not as flexible. There is no reason you need to migrate to 10.0.0.0/8 (class A) space to accomplish what you want.
                Thanks,
                Brian Desmond
                Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
                www.briandesmond.com

Comment

Working...
                X