Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Interfaces of Router?

Hi there,
    It might seems a dumb question but I would dare to ask anyway.

I know a Router can have multiple interfaces.

If I have a LinkSys Router which has 4 ETHERNET PORTS in it, Does this mean this Router has 4 INTERFACES?

Thanks,
    Data Sheet

Re: Multiple Interfaces of Router?

No. In this context, an "Interface" is tied to a network - so your Linksys Router has two interfaces; a WAN interface and a LAN interface. The LAN interface has four PORTS.

A router with 4 interfaces would normally be beyond your average home budget...

By the way - stop with the "stupid question" thing... there is no such thing as a stupid question when you don't know the answer. However, a little research before asking your question out loud on the forum goes a long way around here

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi Stonelaughter,
      Thanks for the reply and I think this answer really helped me.

Now I am going to next step of my question now:

If I have 3 switches and to each switch I have connected one host let's say:

Switch 1 - hostA (192.168.1.0/24) Network
      Switch 2 - hostB (192.168.2.0/24) Network
      Switch 3 - hostC (192.168.3.0/24) Network

Each switch is connected to separate on CISCO Router , Now is this making a 3 INTERFACES now?

Thanks again,
      Data Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by DataSheet View Post
        Hi Stonelaughter,
        Thanks for the reply and I think this answer really helped me.

Now I am going to next step of my question now:

If I have 3 switches and to each switch I have connected one host let's say:

Switch 1 - hostA (192.168.1.0/24) Network
        Switch 2 - hostB (192.168.2.0/24) Network
        Switch 3 - hostC (192.168.3.0/24) Network

Each switch is connected to separate on CISCO Router , Now is this making a 3 INTERFACES now?

Thanks again,
        Data Sheet
        Assuming that you mean that each subnet is connected to a different port on the same router, and the router routes between the three networks, then YES, this is three interfaces.

A router routes between all it's interfaces according to the rules and the routing protocol you set. In your first example, the Linksys router cannot ROUTE between the four LAN ports; it can only SWITCH between them... they are, therefore, NOT four interfaces. However, a Cisco router with three ports on the front which connect to three different networks between which it can route... this is a router with three interfaces.

I hope I'm helping.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
        X