Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cisco 1721 additional features request (was: Please help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco 1721 additional features request (was: Please help)

Let me first say Networking is not my expertise, however I am familiar with many of the concepts and best practices. I am a Consultant primarily working with web applications. However my company has decided to bring me on to lead and fix a poorly implemented project.

We just opened a new small office (10-15 people) in the Dallas, TX area. We decided to go with a vendor to implement our network and VOIP phones.

The vendor deployed a Cisco 1721 in our server rack onsite and configured it for DHCP. With 6 VOIP phones. This is ALL the vendor did and this is the supported configuration. We do not have access to make changes to router! and the vendor does not support the functional requirements below.

We have a range of 30 IP's.

The Problem:
    These are our functional requirements
    -Firewall
    -DMZ
    -NAT
    -LAN
    -Site to Site VPN

As you can imagine since the vendor only set up DHCP we are not achieving our functional requirements.

I do not want to hack the 1721 router as it will break the contract.

I am thinking of a temporarily solution to achieve our functional requirements.

Hypothesis:
    Can we buy another router and connect it to the 1721. This second router will take all of the available IP addresses from the 1721. We will be able to configure this router to our liking since we WILL have access to it. Is this possible or is there another recommended solution?

Thank you for helping out a network n00b

Re: Please help

If i was the customer, I would demand it with the vendor. Even if I need to talk with the higher management.
    Was the vendor aware of you're functional requirements?

Can we buy another router and connect it to the 1721. This second router will take all of the available IP addresses from the 1721. We will be able to configure this router to our liking since we WILL have access to it. Is this possible or is there another recommended solution?
    Nope, won't work. For example; Site-to-site vpn should be configured on the front firewall, unless the 1721 would be set in some kind of bridging mode.

Btw, next time choose a better topic title according the forum rules.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I have been told that the vendor was aware of atleast the site to site VPN functional requirement. I was not part of the initial discussions and I am not sure if clear expectations were set.

Thank you for the feedback and apologies regarding the title.

I have informed my higher management regarding the current situation since your response is consistent with the other feedback I've gathered as well. Setting up this new office has been quite the process. I can only hope the vendor will release access to the router and provide limited support.

Comment

Good luck
        If you have any questions, please post back
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
        X