No announcement yet.

Cisco vs Nortel Routers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco vs Nortel Routers

I've always used Cisco Routers in the past and my supervisor at work just ordered 3 Nortel Routers instead of Cisco.

It's my belief that was a big mistake, but nothing I can do about it and asking if anyone knows the difference between the Cisco IOS and the Nortel IOS.

I don't think I'll be able to fix it if it breaks, but would like to know the difference if anyone knows.

Re: Cisco vs Nortel Routers

To be honest it's just a question of command set and features. I wouldn't worry about the Nortel boxes, they are very good and have a lower price point. If you understand the way, say, OSPF works on a Cisco you will quickly understand how the Nortel does it.

If you are still worried then demand training

Being able to have a multi-vendor skill set will only make you more attractive to future employer's. I for one recently worked on a load of BigIP F5 boxes, and they rock! It's good to look over the Cisco fence, and remember if Cisco are not in the top 2 of a technology they just dump it and run... look at DSLAMs.

I'm not worried about the features as much as the commands. I'm sure it's a good router, it's new, our old one was at least 7 years old if not older from what I've been told.

My concern is if line goes down or something needs to be added quickly, I probably won't be able to do it unless the commands are similar to ciscos. We're a small company and used RIP before for our 3 routers. Can't remember if that's an open source protocol or Cisco's.

The vendor is comming out to program the routers, which I wanted to do if they were cisco's, but I'm just asking for the future, are they totally different commands from cisco or is it fairly easy to figure out.

RIP is an open standard so everything will integrate just fine. However if your network uses IGRP or EIGRP then you might have a problem, but nothing that redistribution will not fix.

Other than that ask for the documentation and set an expectation with your boss. I find that people respond well to setting a deadline to learning and then requesting time to meet it. I think Nortel docs are online, but you might need a customer account to access them. They were the last time I configured an Alteon Load balancer.

Good luck with your kit...