Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help setting up my WAN

Hi,

This is my first time posting, I hope I am following the correct procedures. I have read several posts and feel confident that I have come to the right place and will soon have solutions to my problems.

I have recently purchased many pieces of equipment from eBay. I now need help figuring out exactly what each piece of equipment does as well as, how to connect all the equipment together.

Here is a list of the equipment:

Equip Qty Model
    Routers
    01 4000M
    01 2514
    03 2501
    10 1604
    01 806

Switches
    01 WS-C16M-XL29
    01 WS-C1924C-EN

Hubs
    02 WS-C424M

Cables
    24 CAB-V35MT
    20 CAB-AC
    01 CAB-232MT-10

As you can see, I have purchased many cables and still canít seem to connect any two routers together via their serial ports. The CAB-V35MTs have the proper LFH60 (DB-60) on one end, however, they have a V35M connector on the other which wonít fit any of the routers.

Having read other posts, I believe I can connect the hubs and the switches to the routers via Ethernet cables using transceivers, however, if you can elaborate on the transceivers that I need to purchase as well as how to connect them, that would be a great help. I would also like to know if there is any benefit to using the SCSI connections on the 424.

Thank You
    Attached Files

Re: Help setting up my WAN

What prompted your decision to buy each piece of equipment, if you don't even know what they do? I'm confused how we can help you; have you designed a network which you want to build with the equipment you bought, or were you simply hoping to throw something together, or what?

By the way - simply connecting it all together is insufficient to gain a working network; it all has to be configured to talk to all the other kit first...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi meanpabs,

Tom makes some very good points there. As he said, it would be nice to have some idea of what you want to accomplish, even if it is a basic lab in a CCNA book, or something.

Let me take a shot at the two cable questions-
      1. to connect two routers back to back with a serial cable you can either do it with two DB60 to V35 cables - one being male and the other female. OR you can simply buy a DB60 to DB60 DCE to DTE cable. I would recommend the latter but either will work.
      2. The SCSI ports on the back of the 424 aren't really SCSI. I believe they are stacking ports that link multiple 424's together.

To get started, I would just work on one router for a while, learning how to login, the different router prompts, how to enable an interface, and how to configure an IP address. Then, I would suggest simply connecting two routers together with ethernet cables and a switch in between. I would suggest getting some Cisco training material like the Train Signal CCNA video & lab book or the Cisco Press CCNA Books. Each of these will have basic tasks to perform to learn the Cisco IOS and connect two routers together, etc.

As you move along in your learning, post your questions here!

Thanks,
      David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
      Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
      TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
      Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thank You very much David, just as I suspected you have been very helpful! I will take your advice and purchase a few DCE/DTE crossover cables.

I have the majority of the equipment because it was recommended from another Cisco-centric forum as a mid-level WAN scenario.

Comment

What are you intending to plug it into?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
          X