Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Become A Cisco Guru?

Hi All,

I acquired the CCNA and CCNP certifications about 4 years ago. It was all self study. I just read the books and did the exam/s. During that time I didn't have any contact with cisco equipment. I recently started a new job where I'm a system administrator at a company which supports approximately 30 routers along with numerous servers. I find that my real work knowledge and experience with cisco routers is lacking. I have the CCNA and CCNP sybex study guides but I find that they are mainly geared for the exam and don't provide information and examples useful for the real world. What books do you suggest I purchase that provide real world advice? What are your go to books when when u have cisco networking issues? What websites/forums do you visit when you have unsolveable problems? How do I progress beyond just being certified? So what I am really asking is how do I become a cisco guru?

Thanks

Re: How Do I Become A Cisco Guru?

How did you pass the practical labs?!

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Simulations.

Comment

Well, since you have 30 routers, figure out a way to take that 1 or 2 you must have for Disaster Recovery and build a lab setup and practice, practice, practice.

EDIT: To answer your thread's title: "Hire one"
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by bigkyle View Post
          Simulations.
          Then now you know. A certification is utterly valueless on its own. Next time you attempt one, you will perhaps do it the way that boring old farts like me have been saying it should be done all along.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. . Where were you guys when I was doing the exam huh? . Well I guess I have 30 routers to practice and I have the network admin to provide guidance. I'm also looking to buy these books :Cisco IOS Cookbook

Cisco IOS Cookbook, Second Edition
            By Kevin Dooley, Ian J. Brown

Cisco IOS in a Nutshell Cisco IOS in a Nutshell, Second Edition
            By James Boney

Any one own these?

Comment

You want the easy way? Find a CCIE, drink their blood, eat their heart and brains. Well it was supposed to work in oldern times.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                You want the easy way? Find a CCIE, drink their blood, eat their heart and brains. Well it was supposed to work in oldern times.
                Run for your life David!!
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Hire him first. Then at least you paid for your meal.
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

There really is only one way - experience, study, and a want for knowledge. Also not having kids or being married helps greatly (strangle I have both ). Also a small home lab or dynamips software routers help to get speed and finger knowledge embedded into you.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

PS. you can download a dynamips Internetwork expert simulation however the switches are still a bit buggy

Check it all out here!

Comment

Thanks jezster. I guess I'm kinda in the same predicament as you. I have a daughter and probably marrying some time in the future. So I guess I'm screwed

Comment

As everyone else said - practice on real routers. Examine the configs of your 30 routers and understand them line by line. Get 2 routers for practice and setup a test network that you can break and fix.

At this point, I wouldn't buy another book. If you want to spend some money, buy a couple of routers from Ebay and then just use www.cisco.com/univercd

Thanks to everyone who responded to this question.
                        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
                        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
                        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
                        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

And I don't want to fail to mention that you can find video training and a lab book at the following location.

http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=35

I would recommend the lab book to you more because you need that hands-on experience. I would take the lab book, buy some used equipment off of ebay, and perform the labs step by step. From there, move on to some more advanced labs.
                          David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
                          Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
                          TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
                          Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice David. I'll look into the links you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by jezster View Post
                              Also not having kids or being married helps greatly (strangle I have both
                              Jezster, even with the honerable intention of becoming a Cisco Guru, I still think that getting rid of you family in such a manner is wrong.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X