Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco SDM wont save config

Newbie alert!!

Brand new 857 - no problems starting up SDM - login as cisco/cisco as-per instructions.
    When I get to the summary dialog, I can now click "finish" - I get hourglass, and nothing else happens. The router config does not change.
    SDM does nothing else. I can click on "back" and edit the setup i have made, but still will not save.
    I have Telnet into router and user/pass is still "cisco" - IP does not change, etc.

I have also d/loaded and installed latest ver. of SDM (2.3.2) - no change.

I have used several different PC's & laptops, both Windows & Linux with different browsers to rule out browser/java issues... I can only conclude that it is either SDM or the router.

Re: Cisco SDM wont save config

Hi Luke,
    Yes, a strange issue.
    Just some ideas-
    - you could do a write erase on the router and reboot and try again
    - you could config some things manually on the console (like username/pass) and see if saving it and rebooting will somehow kick SDM into working.

Thanks
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

must be a problem with SDM on the 857's - i've now tried 3 different routers, all with the same issue-

Comment

Luke,
        Very strange issue. I would call Cisco on it. Perhaps it is a bug in the IOS.

Comment

Luke (or anyone), was there any resolution to this? I am trying to set one up today and am having EXACTLY the same issue, everything looks OK but it just won't save! I can see the same issues in other threads in this forum however no-one has a resolution that I have found.

Pete

Comment

Most probably I am sure it's a compatibility issue. I have 1841 router. 2 of them, I tried SDM and works smooth.

Well, you said install SDM only on a PC or also on a router ? If you say also install this version of SDM on router, it might conflict current evrsion of SDM located in router.
            All in 1
            Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

oddly enough I had the same problem with SDM express not SDM.

build valid config, try to save config. nada.
              SDM on the other hand works sweet

Comment

Ok - so it appears that SDM Express is .... how does one say.... "hopeless"
                Installed SDM on my PC, and configured without problem.
                Last edited by Luke Healety; 24th March 2007, 09:32.

Comment

Good work around Luke!

I am glad you found a way to get to the end result & I appreciate you posting it here!

Let me give you some repulation points for that...

Comment

Hi guys,

I know this is a hurrendously late reply but in case it helps:

1. If using the SDM Express wizard, just choose NOT to set up an Internet connection during the wizard. I've had the "busy bee" issue on all of my 857 routers (5) that were purchased at different times- there was at least 2 different firmware/IOS versions.

2. If you have the wireless 857w, loading the SDM in preference to the Express version will not give you the wireless configuration tool- you need CCO access for this and, besides, theres not enough flash memory for both tools to be installed on the router.

Hope this helps,

gibjon.

Comment

An even more hurrendously late reply!

Since your original post I've had to install 5 Cisco 857 routers and they ALL have 2 problems- the one you AND I mentioned.

If you use the SDM Express it won't always save settings that you change AFTER the original wizard setup. This is a catch 22 because you need to deliberately choose NOT to set up the ADSL settings for PPPoE,PPPoA,etc. during the wizard otherwise the wizard never completes (it just hangs with the hourglass).

The solution is to install SDM (NOT express) on the PC (not the router) and finish off what you couldn't complete on the Express wizard, making sure you save your changes. With that last point in mind I belive that Cisco allows you to have a different running and boot config, ie- changes you make in SDM (either version) do not permanently commit so when the router is rebooted, the last changes are lost.

An off-point I'd like to mention is port forwarding with NAT. As far as I can make out, you can't forward a group of ports, only one at a time. Neither can you create a virtual DMZ whereby all incoming traffic is forwarded to a private IP except for rules you explicitly set up. This is particularly annoying for setting up VoIP systems where the streaming media ports have a massive range.

Hope this helps someone.....

Comment

Working...
                      X