No announcement yet.

Connecting 2 Routers: T1 Router and Cisco Router

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting 2 Routers: T1 Router and Cisco Router

Hi, thanks for reading this.

My company has a T1 line that goes into the provider's Netopia router. I'd like to connect that router to our Cisco 1811 router to take advantage of the firewall, DHCP, VLAN, and NAT features. So, this is what I'm trying to do:

Internet -- T1 Router -- Cisco 1811 -- Servers and Workstations

The Netopia router is a T1 router with 1 WAN port and 8 built-in Ethernet ports. The Cisco 1811 has 2 WAN FE ports and 8 Managed Switch ports.

First of all, I'd like to ask if this is even possible to do. If it is, please tell me how to physically connect the routers (what port to what port, and what kind of cable).

Thank you.

Re: Connecting 2 Routers: T1 Router and Cisco Router

Sure, sounds simple, as described...

You would take the ethernet port off of the t1 netopia, use a crossover cable and connect it to the outside (one of the FE ports) of the Cisco.

The PC's and workstations would go to the 8 port switch on the inside of the Cisco routers. If you have more than 8 PC's and servers, you could connect a switch to 1 of the 8 ports on the cisco to add more ports.

The connection is easy but the configuration is more difficult.

Do you have any web or email servers (or any other servers) that people access from the Internet? Or do you just have outbound web browsing?

Do you just have a single IP address from your provider or do you have a block of IP addresses (a range)?
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: &