Basic Cisco router & switch setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Cisco router & switch setup

Petri forums user [email protected] emailed the following message to me via PM but I would like to share it with all of you because I think that there are many out there who would benefit from the answer.
    Hi David,

Please, I need your help. I just finished configuring my Cisco 2501. I can ping the IP address of the ethernet port once I connect my laptop using a cross over cable direct on the ethernet port of the Router.

The problem I have is this. Am trying to connect several systems to the router. Once I connect the router to a 24 port switch and then try to ping the IP address, I get time-out.

Please, how can I setup the Cisco 2501 so that I can connect it on a switch and be able to ping it.

Thanks.

Emeka.
    Last edited by daviddavis; 6th February 2007, 01:52.
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Re: Basic Cisco router & switch setup

Emeka,

Thanks for your question!

Let's troubleshoot this in layers -
    layer 1 - physical & data link - do you get a link light when you connect the router and the laptop to the switch?
    layer 3 - network - are the router and the laptop in the same IP network? do they have they same subnet mask?

Additional questions-
    If you leave the router out of it and you have two laptops or a laptop and PC, let's say, connected to the switch, can they communicate?
    Is the switch a managed switch? Could it have some kind of vlan configuration on it that is preventing the communications?

We will get to the bottom of it.

Thanks
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
    X