Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting 1900 to 2501 via serial

Hello,

I am a newbie here to the world of Cisco, and I am not sure on how to make some things work.

I currently have a 2501, and a 1911.

I would like to know how, besides ethernet, to connect my 2 devices together with a serial connection, or another way, if that is not possible. From what I can find on google, you cannot connect these via a dte/dce cable, is this right? If that is the case, then how do I do it??

The end result is taking my cable modem directly to my 2501 via a transceiver with ethernet, and then getting the switch connected, and then routing off that configuration.

Hope this is not a dupe post, and this is also my first post.

Thanks,
    Derek

****Seeing as my post has been read a number of times, and no one if able to answer it....could someone maybe answer this instead....instead of going from the router to switch via serial, go ethernet, and then get a RJ45 to DB60 cable, and run that from the modem to the router?? Would that be possible???

Any info would greatly help.

Thanks again,
    Derek
    Last edited by fletch_iz; 22nd January 2007, 23:25. Reason: addition of information

Re: Connecting 1900 to 2501 via serial

Hi Derek,

A 1911 is a switch and a 2501 is a router. You would not connect these via serial, only via ethernet.

From the Router's ethernet to the Switch's Ethernet, you are forming your Ethernet LAN (local area network). From the router to another router, you would, typically, form your WAN (wide area network).

Does that make sense?
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to post on this....was wondering if anyone had a solution.

That does make sense, but what I would like to know is this...then how would I connect my cable modem to my router, I have heard of rj45 to db60 serial cables, would this method work?? Or is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks again,
      Derek

Comment

Hi Derek,

Think about your protocols here, not just the ends of your cables.

A cable model is converting the media of coaxial cable to Ethernet (with a RJ45 output). You want to connect that to your router. Even if you converted it to a DB60, your protocol is still Ethernet, not Serial (PPP or HDLC). The router couldn't use that Ethernet cable connected to a serial port.

In other words, if you have a cable modem that outputs Ethernet to your Router, you would connect the router with a RJ45 Ethernet cable (or use a transceiver to get to a RJ45). Then your LAN needs another Ethernet port.

Basically, you need 2 Ethernet ports on your router.

You could get a 800 series router or a 2502.

Hope that helps,

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks again for your feedback.

I was wondering about the whole ethernet to serial, but again, I did see a cable online that was able to do so, so I figured that would be an option. But thank you for taking the time to clarify.

I did not really give any thought to the protocol, I was 'assuming' that the cable would take care of the conversion.

I guess at this point, it is router shopping time, woo hoo

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Take Care,
          Derek.

Comment

Hi Derek,

I found, on the Internet, what I believe, is the adpator you are talking about. This is a db60 to rj45.
            http://www.csdata.com/csdonline/cata...A_p_18215.html

Basically, it allows you to connet two routers, still using serial, but using a RJ45 cable to make the long connection. Pretty cool actually. However, it states on it "Note: This product is NOT a serial to Ethernet converter. The RJ-45 port only supports RS232 signal levels."

You should be able to get a 2502 on ebay for under $150, I would estimate. The ideal router would be an 800 series router. They are usually around $300. The 800 is best because it can run the latest Cisco IOS. The 2502 is going to be rev locked and you still may have to do some RAM & Flash upgrades on it to run 12.x code.

Let us know if you have any questions while you are router shopping. I know that myself, and others on the board, would be glad to help.

All the best,

Comment

Hello again David,

Thanks for taking the time to look....that was similiar to the product I found, but it did not give any details about 'not to be used for serial to ethernet conversions', but I think either way, I am probably just best to follow your advice and pick up another router...darn

This is just something for home, and not for work related reasons, so even if I bought another 2502 series and it does get locked, no real reason for concern.

I was actually looking at some routers on ebay, the first place I got my router and switch, and they have some decent prices (2501 20US, 1911 20US). I found out that a 800 series can run for anywhere between 20 - 50 US, and a 2502 around 50 US...was even thinking that maybe I would just pick up another 2501 and then just connect them via serial. Reason behind this is that a 2501 is cheaper then a 2502, or almost anything else in the 2500 series.

But once again, thanks for taking the time, and going that extra distance to even found out what I was talking about. Glad to know that there is a moderator like you out there. MUCH APPRECIATED.

Take Care,
              Derek

Comment

Working...
              X