Best Software for monitoring PIX/router traffic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Software for monitoring PIX/router traffic

I have recently hired a full rack in a local datacenter and thanks to the replies i have had to my posts i put on this forum it is all running well.

i have a few friends/clients who are using this rackspace to host their own servers. one user in particular I am worried about using way too much bandwidth (for the FTP server they host) and hence me getting a massive bill at the end of each month.

can anyone recommend any good software that i can use to monitor my PIX/router/switch to see how much transfer this guy is doing? i am guess that my devices will need to have SNMP enabled which is fine, i just need a good program (for any OS and at any cost) that will monitor and log the data throughput through my hardware

thanks!

Re: Best Software for monitoring PIX/router traffic

I know that here we use MRTG for all of our traffic monitoring. Once i get my PIX and switches setup for my own network, that is probably what i am going to use as well. (http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/)

Comment

i've used MRTG before and will set it up on these devices as well. the graphs it makes are nice but i really need something more powerful that can interperate these results and give me information on billing, usage, quote usage etc.etc..

thanks for the pointer any how

Comment

Without doubt, PRTG from paessler.

Im using it right now with more than 100 sensors and some netflow collectors.

Im monitoring Pix 515, 515E, Cisco 1700, 877, some 1812 and some sonicwalls.

Comment

Hi Ryan,
          Thanks for your post!

Either MRTG or PRTG - these are both good solutions.

Here are my reasons to use either-

MRTG
          - requires a little more technical knowledge
          - best for background monitoring of many devices where a number of people need remote access to check on performance
          - free

PRTG
          - costs if more than a couple of sensors (forgot the number)
          - easier to setup in windows than mrtg
          - has advanced features like Cisco's netflow
          - can still access remotely from web browser but was originally designed to be single user on a monitoring workstation, monitoring a handful of devices but now scales to many many devices

Either one is good, they are just different and both have their good and bad.

I use PRTG because I only wanted to monitor, say, 10 routers, it was just for me, and I wanted something quick and easy that I could run on my windows desktop.

As you try out these products and use them, let us know what you think.
          David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
          Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
          TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
          Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

In my organization we use NNM and MRTG.

(Personally I hate NNM! )

Boaz Galil.

Comment

Cacti and Nagios is my combination of choice.
              Thanks,
              Brian Desmond
              Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
              www.briandesmond.com

Comment

Working...
              X