Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem installing my new Linksys WRT54GS (at home)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem installing my new Linksys WRT54GS (at home)

When i put the CD that came with it into my drive, i follow the instructions it says (real noddy stuff like "unplug your modem" etc.) so i follow the guide to the letter, and it gets to the screen where it says "checking PC configuration" it gets to 100% and says "cannot find router! check that the router is connected to your PC" which i did several times, i even did this on a PC and a Laptop and got the same results.

i had a look in the event log and the problem was there, it was event ID 1002 and said something about "DHCP refused", i can't remember it very well and i'm not at home to check it now.

i had a brief look on the website, but i can't seem to find my problem on there

i have checked all the cables, they work, i have check all the ports, they work too

can anyone help me?

EDIT: also, when the CD tells me to plug in the router, i do so and let it load, my PC then tries to get a network address, and when it finally does, it says "limited or no connectivity"
    Last edited by Luke Murgatroyd; 15th January 2007, 10:40. Reason: i missed something out that could be important
    changed

Re: Problem installing my new Linksys WRT54GS (at home)

Your router's broken by the sounds of it; the Linksys setup usually goes without a hitch. Have you tried connecting via an Ethernet port to get the DHCP instead of wireless?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Do you have a (windows) firewall enabled on you're notebook or Pc?

Also, according the guide you should configure it with a Network cable and not on wireless.
      After configuring the router, you should be able to use the wireless access.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
        Do you have a (windows) firewall enabled on you're notebook or Pc?

Also, according the guide you should configure it with a Network cable and not on wireless.
        After configuring the router, you should be able to use the wireless access.
        no, i have my firewall turned off, and i am configuring it with the cables they provided, i haven't even got to the wireless stage yet

bugger, i think i lost my receipt due to the really strong winds outside the shop, cos the employee put the receipt inside the bag
        Last edited by Luke Murgatroyd; 15th January 2007, 11:07.
        changed

Comment

You should always use a wired ethernet connection for the initial setup - USB adds another overhead to deal with and more software to clutter your machine up.

By default, the DHCP facility of this unit will probably be set to *enabled*. This being the case, as long as there is nothing elso on your network issueing addresses, set your TCP/IP configuration to obtain setting automatically.

From a command prompt, type ipconfig/all.

Enter the default gateway address displayed in to your browser and supply the username and password given in the manual. From here, you can configure your DSL connection, wireless etc.

If you are getting a message to say *limited connectivity*, make sure the network card is not showing any problems within device manager, you are using a *straight* network cable - opposed to a crossover cable which is used to connect two computers together without a switch (usually marked) and your TCP configuration is set to automatically pick up the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
            You should always use a wired ethernet connection for the initial setup - USB adds another overhead to deal with and more software to clutter your machine up.

By default, the DHCP facility of this unit will probably be set to *enabled*. This being the case, as long as there is nothing elso on your network issueing addresses, set your TCP/IP configuration to obtain setting automatically.

From a command prompt, type ipconfig/all.

Enter the default gateway address displayed in to your browser and supply the username and password given in the manual. From here, you can configure your DSL connection, wireless etc.

If you are getting a message to say *limited connectivity*, make sure the network card is not showing any problems within device manager, you are using a *straight* network cable - opposed to a crossover cable which is used to connect two computers together without a switch (usually marked) and your TCP configuration is set to automatically pick up the settings.
            this is for my home, i originally had my modem straight into my Laptop, so i don't think anything else is issuing addresses (how do i check?)

also, my Laptop can't actually connect to the router so when i type in 192.168.0.1 (which is the address given) nothing appears, because it isn't seeing the router

i'll check my network card, but i really doubt there is something wrong with it, seeing as it works with a direct connection, and i'm using the cable that came with the router to connect it to my Laptop (which is what it says in the guide)

i need to check if it is automatically picking up the settings (again, how do i check?)
            changed

Comment

Ok. I looked at the specification for your unit, and see that this device is for cable and not DSL. I assume you are on Cable? If unsure, a DSL connection would plug in to a normal POTS analogue *BT* socket. Cable is a thick co-axial lead.

The fact that you can plug your computer in to the cable device and can be functional would suggest;

A) they use MAC cloning to make sure you are only using one device on your connection. I have to say, although possible - unlikely. I haven't seen this for some time now.

B) The unit is already providing DHCP services. If you plug your lap/desktop in to it, what TCP configuration do you get? ipconfig/all >.txt and go to documents and settings and paste the results here.

C) You are using a statically assigned TCP configuration and the cable *box* and Linksys router in different subnets and therefore cannot see or talk to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
                Ok. I looked at the specification for your unit, and see that this device is for cable and not DSL. I assume you are on Cable? If unsure, a DSL connection would plug in to a normal POTS analogue *BT* socket. Cable is a thick co-axial lead.

The fact that you can plug your computer in to the cable device and can be functional would suggest;

A) they use MAC cloning to make sure you are only using one device on your connection. I have to say, although possible - unlikely. I haven't seen this for some time now.

B) The unit is already providing DHCP services. If you plug your lap/desktop in to it, what TCP configuration do you get? ipconfig/all >.txt and go to documents and settings and paste the results here.

C) You are using a statically assigned TCP configuration and the cable *box* and Linksys router in different subnets and therefore cannot see or talk to each other.
                yes, i am using cable, and when i get home, i'm going to try the suggestions, and i will post back the results, thank you very much for tking time to help me
                changed

Comment

Sorted It!

what the problem was, my network connections were NOT set to "Automatically Detect Settings" so when i first turned on the Router, it could not connect to my Laptop, so i just gave the Router a ReBoot with that setting on

the reason why i didn't come across this simple answer before is i assumed it was already getting the settings automatically for my Laptop to work straight to my modem, and i swear that "Automatically detect settings" was on already
                  changed

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.

Just for the record, you should only have one device giving TCP/IP configuration.

In your case, the router, not the *modem* which is effectively converting the cable technology to ethernet.

If you add more devices, make sure they plug in to the router, not the cable device.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                    X