Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cisco vs Nortel vs Enterasys vs 3com vs Hp

Hi ,
    I have 2 CB9000 3com and 3300 and 1100 switches at the end point.
    I need your opinion about new Switches.
    Where can I begin the search ?

thx ahead
    mano

Re: Cisco vs Nortel vs Enterasys vs 3com vs Hp

Hi Mano,
    Thanks for the post.
    First off, I would just recommend going with Cisco. I hate to be a "Cisco bigot" but they really are the absolute best around. I have used 3Com corebuilders and 1100/3300 switches before and I would always prefer Cisco. To me, the biggest benefit is the reliability of Cisco and the industry support. I mean, take this forum for example, here are a great group of guys ready to help with any Cisco switching issue but if you ask us about Nortel or 3Com or HP switches, you may just get dead silence or there might be one person who can help you out. I know the most popular reason that people don't buy Cisco is that they think the price is too high. I would just find some way around that - lease the equipment, buy used equipment, or just buy 1 new switch each year.

I would recommend reading about Cisco switches at the Cisco switch product website:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...hes/index.html

Let us know how your search turns out.

Thanks for the post!

David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

The statement of get Cisco without understand the application and technical needs of the user is a typical Cicso follower answer. For example, if you simply want switches that give basic management capabilities, look at HP or Enterasys. These products have lifetime warranties and we have had great luck with both. If you are looking at switches that need to integrate into more advanced security capabilities like intrusion detection and prevention, look at Enterasys. Although we deal with a lot of Cisco equipment, there are a myriad of vendors with better products out there that meet the needs of the clients better than Cisco. As for tech support, every manufacturer has tech support capabilities and websites with similiar support resources.
      Last edited by rconaway; 6th January 2007, 23:52.

Comment

You make a good point - one should always understand the application before selecting hardware/software.

As I said, I admit that I am a Cisco follower so I am sure that taints my opinion somewhat. However, after using other brands in various applications, I would always come back to Cisco without doing much shopping in most situations. Let me give you an example to try to justify this opinion.

I compare this to a new computer user asking me what operating system they should use on their computer. They say that their application is just wordprocessing, web browsing, and email. What would you tell them?
        A. Evaluate all the Linux variants, MacOSX, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and any other GUI OS you can find. When you are done, see which one fits your needs the best.
        OR
        B. Just use Windows XP because it is the same OS that 90% of the people in the world use. You can find tons of books, videos, and training classes on it. If you ask just about anyone who uses a computer a question, they can probably help you.

I would have to go with B, because it just obviously makes a new user's life easier and saves them a ton of time. If I were specing out switches for a 1000 site network and had a budget that I had to justify the costs vs the brand & features, then I would choose option A - where I would understand the application and do a full evaluation of the brands and models.

That's just my two cents for today. I completely respect your opinion as well and I appreciate you speaking up about it. Thanks for posting!

Oh and, Mano, have we helped you out at all?

Thanks,
        David

Comment

Mano, you have given us no idea in what sort of environment these switches are to be used. Maybe you need the management flexability of the Cisco or maybe you can get away with the lower range Linksys switches.

3Com can have a couple of nasty surprises especially when stacking them together whereas with Cisco you have more compatibity with other Cisco products. I personally do not like HP (I also prefer a Porche to a Ferrari) so that is just a personal choice reason. I have never used a Nortel or Enterasys so I can't comment on them.

Again, we need some idea of your environmental requirements before an accurate recommendation can be made. However if you were wanting to get into the Cisco side of things and perhaps look at their certifications, that in itself would be a good reason to choose them (as well as the fact they are an excellent product).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by mano View Post
            Where can I begin the search ?

mano

@ GoOgLe !!!!!!!

Nortel is more active player in "telecommunication" & "EPBX" systems. Keep in touch with major players.

"Juniper Network" rocks ! But very very expensive. Think ten times before buying any perticular Juniper product. They are usually designed for specific purpose. They are not "All in 1 " box ..Hehe !
            All in 1
            Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

I understand what you are saying David but many of the other vendor products aren't as different as Linux and Windows is. For example, on the Enterasys equipment, most of the command lines are the same except for feature differences that an Enterasys unit my have that the Cisco does not with a few exceptions. We took the configuration off a Cisco 2600 and just dropped it on an Enterasys 1805 router and it came right up. The difference comes in features sets and the ability to integrate advanced security features that Cisco does not either have or has no integration. In this case, I'm only talking about Enterasys but I'm sure the same applies to many other manufacturers.

In our company, we sold off all our Cisco equipment and bought Enterasys because we wanted the security features that Cisco doesn't have.

Comment

Hi rconaway,

I agree, I exaggerated a bit with the Operating system comparison to make a point. You are correct, many of the newer switches & routers actually use the Cisco interface. At my company, we had some Dell switches where all the commands were almost identical to Cisco. We ended up replacing the Dell's with Cisco because they had an arp cache issue where they would just flood the network. Dell agreed there was a bug but, as the switches' code was developed in Asia, Dell said it would take a long time to get a fix.

I can't really speak about Enterasys. I do agree that there are applications where you would want to use another vendor's products. For example, Fortinet has new switches available that do AV & IPS scanning, on every port, using ASICs, with almost zero latency. Cisco just doesn't have anything like that.

My advice was only meant to be general advice for those who don't have a lot of experience and want a "safe bet". As the old saying goes "no one ever got fired for buying IBM". The same could be applied to Cisco.

I appreciate your advice and comments, please keep them coming! That is what is so great about these forums!

Respectfully,
                David Davis

Comment

Hi,
                  thx to all the posts in this topic, it's very helpful but I still in the dark.
                  I know that I have a lot of research to do about this selection.
                  I would like to hear about yours experience in this subject.

about my LAN...
                  as I wrote I have 2 CB9000 3com and 3300 and 1100 switches at the end point.
                  today My net is flat and I want now to build v-lans. I want to install a new IP telephony and it will be nice to have a security features build in.

can u direct me to objective compare documents or sites ?

txh again
                  mano

Comment

If you are going to use VoIP then there is only one choice. Cisco. They set the standard.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think you need to review your thoughts. Cisco did not set the standard for VOIP. VOIP has been used for many years mainly in core voice infrastructures. Cisco are Data and their voice solutions are weak compared to Avaya and in particular Nortel. Just asked anyone who bought Call Manager !.

Don't believe the hype. !. Cisco is good but not great. Nortel for me rocks. You can buy a Nortel 5520 10/100/1000 ( far more feature rich than Cisco ) for the same price as a Cisco 10/100. The problem is that anyone brain washed by Cisco needs to keep telling people the product is great to back up there decision to buy Cisco.

Here's an idea that Cisco don't want you to think about.. Cost per Megabit - Cisco is $319 v Nortel $89 - This is confirmed by Tolly. Also, ask Cisco about SMLT ?...

Comment

I have been a Cisco loyalist for several years and hold a CCNA. Prior to that I was quite familiar with 3Com, particularly with the models referenced previously. It is practically impossible to compare the 3Com Corebuilder, 3300 switches, or 1000 series hubs with anything on the market today. Cisco's meteoric rise had much less to with the quality of their product, but rather the utter collapse of the industry leaders such as 3Com. This had led to an overconfidence in and obvious arrogance for their products, which has translated into ridiculous prices. I am seriously considering a move to Nortel at this point and have done a lot of research. The product lines from edge to core are equal in most cases, but in many aspects Nortel is superior. Nortel edge switches stack at 640Mbps where Cisco stacks at 320Mbps. Nortel's move from STP to MLT is another attractive benefit as they claim a failover of 50msec, setting us up nicely for the move to VOIP. Combine this with the fact that they are exactly half the price as Cisco and the conversation has to be had. The warranty is 15 years with Nortel and is "limited lifetime" for Cisco, which means that whenever they decide to call it end of life we are out of luck, typically 4 years. Some of the edge switches for Cisco only come with a 90 warranty nowadays as well. (3750E) I am not a Nortel salesperson and can say I am also evaluating several other lines. HP Procurve is very impressive in performance comparisons vs Cisco and carry full lifetime warranties. They appear to be an up and comer. Extreme Network's equipment is purple, enough said. Long and short of the conversation, we can save $1.4 million by going Nortel with like for like equipment in the next year project, or we can upgrade the Nortel gear to provide POE to every port across the enterprise and still come in much cheaper than Cisco offering POE on 24 ports per IDF only. I can manage this infrastructure because they run a Cisco CLI. My prediction is for Cisco to be in a very bad place in 5 years after their customers moved away in favor of saving enormous amounts of money without sacrificing performance. I hope Cisco is smart enough to recognize this early and become more competitive before the freefall begins.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                          aftre almost 1 year of postponing the big decision ,I stand in front of the same question again.
                          I contacted with some vendors ( nortel,cisco,3com...) and I realized that If money isn't the issue ( all the products is in the same price ) I should choose Cisco ( both DATA and VOICE )
                          Are you agree with me ?
                          if yes , what is the price difrrent in precent you still consider of buying cisco.
                          If not, Can you explain your answer ?

tnx ahead
                          mano

Comment

I stumbled across this thread in my efforts to evaluate going with Cisco and Enterasys. Enterasys and Cisco are both competing actively for my business. I am Director of IT at a small independent school grades K-8 and we are putting in a completely new fabric and a VoIP phone system. I must say that Enterasys has been quite impressive. i am located in Calfiornia and am traveling to Cisco HQ for another demonstration with some of their policy based capabilities in mind. Enterasys has some incredible products and has very good service. They just do not carry the name brand recognition or the huge infrastructure. However, if I can increase my services and security (we are a huge spread out campus with lots of buildings), save money, and leverage policy based switching that is incredibly easy to use...I will go with Enterasys. We will see...
                            Matt

Comment

I agree with David Davis, even though my knowledge in Cisco is not even close to what he has but I have been working with Cisco and Juniper and honestly I like Cisco. I wish my company would convert to 100% Cisco.

Comment

Working...
                              X