Connection with wirless router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection with wirless router

I have to connect a Netgear wireless router to a switch.

The scenario is I have to VLANS on the switch. Vlan1 is assigned an ip interface 10.90.90.90 and the vlan2 is assigned an ip interface 192.168.1.1 as shown in figure.
    I want to connect a pc to vlan 1 with ip address 10.90.90.91.Also I want to connect a netgear wirless router to vlan2 with ip address 192.168.1.2. And I want to ping between a pc connected to the wirless router and the pc connected to the vlan1. But I am not able to communicate when I connect them this way. Can someone help?
    Attached Files

Re: Connection with wirless router

Hi makhan,

As you probably know, to route between vlan's you must have a router. As your switch is a layer 3 switch, I would think that it could perform the routing for you.

Is the default gateway on each of the clients on each vlan, pointing to the route (the dlink layer 3 switch)?

Can the layer 3 switch ping each of the clients and can the clients ping the layer 3 switch?

I don't know what model switch you have but I was reading the manual for the dlink 3328 l3 switch and it says that, for some reason, you still need a router to route between vlans. I may have mis-read it.

Thanks,
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I am able to communicate between the two vlans. Infact when I connect a pc to the vlan2 instead of the wirless router I am able communicate between the pc in vlan1. But when I try to connect the wirless router I am not able to communicate to pc in the vlan1.

Comment

wire the dlink directly to the switch bank (not the WAN port) on the wireless router, use a crossover cable.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
        X